We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time kids to nyc

1 post
Save Topic
First time kids to nyc

Hello there - I was looking at surprising my children with a trip to nyc first weekend in dec - my girls are 9 and 11 and being from Florida they have always wanted to see the buildings that touch the clouds lol. I’ve found amazing flights into Newark and a very reasonable hotel in the financial district. We don’t know much about the city and will be on a budget - do you think staying the financial district will take away the fun for them? Any suggestions of where we must take them and ways to do it on a budget would be much appreciated.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
7 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,781 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time kids to nyc

Central Park, the Highline, and the Staten Island ferry are a few free things.

Reading a guidebook will help you figure out what most appeals to you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time kids to nyc

I like staying in Lower Manhattan versus Midtown so your hotel choice is okay.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time kids to nyc

"Do you think staying the financial district will take away the fun for them?" Not at all.

"Any suggestions of where we must take them and ways to do it on a budget would be much appreciated."

Subway is your go-to form of transport.

You can check www.MommyPoppins.com for many recommendations, but some things that are frequently recommended for kids/girls

- If they have American Girl Dolls, a trip to the store and a lunch/tea there

- One observatory so they can see those buildings! Top of the Rock, One World Observatory, or Empire State Building

- Metropolitan Museum and/or American Museum of Natural History

- Meal of their favorite food?

If you tell us what the girls like/dislike, it will be a lot easier to make recommendations.

On the right-hand side of the page are a couple of links regarding what to do/see during the holidays/Christmas. These are viewable on tablet or desk top, along with many other great topics that will be helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time kids to nyc

I don't think that staying in the Financial District will take away the fun -- there are historic sites and festive decorations there, too! And you can quickly zip up to Midtown or anywhere else by subway -- lots of lines run into the Fulton Street hub station!

If you're planning to visit the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), it would be fun to pair it with lunch at Alice's Tea Cup:

https://alicesteacup.com/chapter-i/

(You can leave the museum and reenter if necessary, just hang onto your tickets).

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time kids to nyc

Definitely visit Rockefeller Center and ice skate, plus walk down 5th Avenue for all the NYC Christmastime magic! It can get crowded/touristy, but honestly I still love how magical it all feels even after a few years here. Lots of great markets to explore as well--Bryant Park and Union Square for sure. If you go to Union Square, stop by Breads Bakery for treats. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time kids to nyc

Alison, in case you didn't notice it, at the end of her post Lizzie provided a link to the "Christmastime 2017 in NYC" thread. It lists the holiday markets, ice skating rinks, holiday windows (inducing a mapped walk), Christmas trees and decorations and more -- holiday train show, cocoa and carols cruises, Dyker Heights lights yours, etc. Enjoy! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time kids to nyc

I saw this map recently which lists all of the Home Alone2 sights in NYC that featured in the movie.

https://ny.curbed.com/maps/home-alone-2-new-…

If your kids know the movie and you'd all like to see a few of the sights, pick a few and have a bit of fun. There's a couple down in the FiDi.

(PS. I've stayed in the FiDi and think it's quite OK. There's a lot to see there and it has had a boom in construction in the last few years).

Reply to: First time kids to nyc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted