We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

Taking the wife to see Come from Away and purchased right box seats at a good price. Is the view bad? The ticket price were much cheaper than the others

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
6 replies to this topic
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

It's cheaper because that side of the stage will be cut off from your vision. I've done box seats twice through the years and have decided never again.

All that said, you've already purchased them. It's a wonderful show, so enjoy.

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

I think you'll have a great view from those seats, you just might miss anything happening in the right hand corner - but from what I remember, that isn't much.

Also, the box seats aren't quite as high up as the mezzanine as they are tiered towards the stage.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

In general, box seats are not to see from but to be seen from. The only exceptions are where box seats are built into the lip of the mezzanine or balcony or the very back box. I remember ushering for a show & I had a gentleman come up to me & complain "I'm in the front box & I can't see a thing!" Luckily for both of us, the show was general admission (not assigned seating) so I just told him to move.

Since I'm on the subject, some general rules from an usher with 50 years experience. There is not one good seat in a theater - it depends on the type of show you're attending. For a show where you want to see faces like a straight (non-musical) play or one of the newer musical dramas or if you want to study the performer sit as close as possible in the orchestra (not too far to the side & front.) If you want to see the staging like musical comedies or opera, sit in the mezzanine. If you want the best sound - like for classical music - sit at the top of the balcony because sound tends to gravitate to the back of the balcony (don't ask me why but it does.)

Edited: 10:00 am, October 24, 2017
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

I've been happy when I've been in box seats (most Broadway theaters have the same general floor plan ... ) You are really close to the action, but no one can spoil your view by sitting right in front of you. Maybe you'll miss 5% of the "entrances" from "up right" if you are in the house left box. Most action takes place in very visible locations, and you'll be fine. Bring earplugs in case you're too close to a loudspeaker.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

What and who you miss seeing depends on the show and where scenes are staged. If they're to the extreme right or left, as in "On the Twentieth Century," you can miss a disappointing amount.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats

I have a 6'2" brother & one of us got free tickets to a classical music performance. My brother wanted to sit in box seats due to his long legs so I got us back box seats & they weren't too bad as the viewing angle to the stage wasn't too steep. However, I find many people think that box seats are the best seats in the house because of the cache but for the most part they are the worst seats due to the viewing angle from where you sit to the stage.

Edited: 3:47 pm, October 24, 2017
Reply to: Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre Box Seats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted