We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Manhattan during the night

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
JFK to Manhattan during the night

Hi everyone,

I'll be flying to JFK airport in december and will be arriving on a Saturday at 10pm. I booked the HI NYC hostel (891 Amsterdam Avenue, Upper West Side, New York) for that night.

I am a 21 year old girl & I was wondering what you would recommend in terms of getting to my hostel, since I'll be arriving pretty late that night (and still have to pick up my luggage and stuff).

Is the subway doable at that time? And I saw some car share sites as well, does anyone have any experience with that? Or would you recommend staying at another hostel which is easier to get to from the airport?

Thank you so much in advance!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
13 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

If it's doable budget-wise, I would get a taxi. Cost: $70 all in, including flat fee fare from JFK to Manhattan ($52.80), any toll ($6) and tip (15-20%, usually the higher end).

If this is your first time to NYC that's the way I would go.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,052 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

I'd recommend taking the Airporter bus to Port Authority and getting a cab there to your hostel. We don't take the subway past midnight even if its oh so crowded as many posters keep saying. Doesn't mean its safe. Or you could take the Airtrain to Jamaica and the LIRR to Penn Station and get a cab from there.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

"Doesn't mean its safe"

Doesn't mean it isn't.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

the 1 train up to 103rd at that hour in particular will be filled with college students headed up to Columbia and Barnard. I (a lady who has lived here since I was 18) would absolutely take the subway at that hour, but I also totally understand springing for a cab and getting used to the subway in the daylight!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

Subway is definitely safe. It will just take a long time since there is often diversions on the weekends and service will already be not a frequent at that time.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

People who refuse to take the subway at night should really not comment on whether it's safe. How would they know? I ride the subway well past midnight and yes, it's crowded, and yes, it's safe.

It does run less frequently after midnight: that's the main reason to take a cab. A cab will be faster. But if you're staying at a hostel I generally assume that an $8 fare to your accommodations is preferable to a $70 fare to your accommodations. But that's your call.

Edited: 8:14 pm, October 23, 2017
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,066 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

How much luggage do you have and can you easily haul it up 1 flight or two of stairs (many subway stations do NOT have an escalator or an elevator). Yes, the subway is safe at that time, but the trains run farther apart, the trip will be lengthy - more than an hour - and you will have to deal with your luggage. Although we sometimes do the subway at that hour often we jump in a cab just to save time.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

I agree with Post Number One by Lizzie. if This is your first time to New York City and if you can afford a cab, this is what I would hope you would do. If you were my daughter and under these circumstances, that Is what I would want.

Edited: 11:30 pm, October 23, 2017
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,548 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

My main problem is you are arriving on a weekend. Subway lines not running due to night/weekend work is common and no one knows today what the status will be in December on the line you need.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,879 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Manhattan during the night

You can check the weekend status of the trains here: http://web.mta.info/service/

I'd consider if you have experience are comfortable with navigating public transit.

It's a subway trip many of us would do, only you know if it's a wise choice for you.

Edited: 12:17 am, October 24, 2017
Reply to: JFK to Manhattan during the night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted