We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas or nye???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas or nye???

Hi, I will be in USA with my husband and 3 chn over Xmas and nye. Which is better in NY- Xmas or nye? Where else can we spend either of these occasions?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas or nye???

Here are the the FAQ on Christmas in NYC:

The Christmas festivities:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

What to do and where to eat on Christmas Day:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

We usually spend Christmas and New Year in NYC; but last year we went to Washington DC on Boxing Day (the OP is from Oz, she knows when Boxing Day is!) and we spent New Year's Eve in DC. We spent the day in the National Gallery of Art, then had lunch at The Source and an early dinner at the bar in the Hays - Adams and then went to the Kennedy Center for a play that evening. Great day and night, but not sure the evening be suitable with kids. DC is amazing, the crowds aren't as bad as NYC and the museums are FREE! (And fantastic!)

One thing to consider about NYE in NYC is that the hotels are much more expensive for the 30th and 31st, and maybe even the 29th. The crowds are ENORMOUS, which is why we went to DC for that period last year.

<<Where else can we spend either of these occasions?>>

We'd be better able to offer other suggestions if we know where you're flying in to and where you're flying home from. I suggest DC as it's a short - 4 hour - train trip between NYC and DC. But if you're flying to the West Coast or also into Florida, then let us know rather than making uneducated guesses. Also, if you are going to other areas of the USA then also post on their Forums.

Good luck with all your planning. It's GREAT!

PS to answer your question - <<Which is better in NY- Xmas or nye? >> I think Christmas.

Edited: 6:29 pm, October 21, 2017
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas or nye???

Christmas in New York NY. NYE in Phila., Boston, Miami - anywhere else, its just not great for the price in NYC.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas or nye???

Thank you for your help. We are residing in Houston for 6 weeks (work).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas or nye???

Yes, we just had a look!!! What about staying New Jersey and training into New York. Then Boston for nye?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas or nye???

If you decide on Boston for nye, post on the Boston travel forum for guidance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas or nye???

Ok will do! Thank you!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas or nye???

You want to visit NYC over Christmas but are considering staying in New Jersey? With three children in tow while you travel back and forth daily? Have you worked out what the additional transportation cost would be? The convience of the schedule for the train, bus, or ferry you'd be using? How crowded they'll be?

It's the holidays, why make life harder on yourself?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,225 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas or nye???

Stay in Manhattan or at least New York City if budget permits. Hotel lodging from approximately the 19th to the 27th is pretty reasonably priced. PRices start to rice on the 28th or 29th as people arrive for NYE.

I live just outside of Boston and did NYE with my kids a few times when they were young. Then starting about 6 years ago when they were young teens we started to make it an annual tradition, meeting friends for a very early dinner and watching the "family fireworks" around 7 ... then playing it by ear after that.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas or nye???

We were in ny last year so only really want to go and see Xmas decorations etc.

Reply to: Xmas or nye???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted