We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to arrive in NY by car avoiding worst traffic ?

west sussex
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to arrive in NY by car avoiding worst traffic ?

We are driving to NY from Boston on a monday, staying at the Hotel Beacon UWS, what would be the best time to drive in to avoid the worst of the traffic, also the best and easiest route. My husband thinks very early in the morning but i thought maybe mid-afternoon so that we can check straight into hotel.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best time to arrive in NY by car avoiding worst traffic ?

I would hire the car in Boston and drop it off in NY.Then get the chinatown bus or fly back to boston.Hiring a car is always dearer in NYC as well.

We also enjoy driving in the states and I think it is the best way to see the country.You could hire another car at the end of your stay in NYC but dont keep one while you are there.

I know that in the UK you can buy car rental insurance for the USA.There have been a few posts on it at www.flyertalk.com

They do have a section on rental cars and I think you will get advice on the UK insurance in the Hertz forum.There is also very practical advice re coupons an CDP numbers so that you can get discounts on your car rentals.Unfortunately their search function is down so you will have to go through many posts or just simply ask the question again.

Remember most new yorkers do not drive regularly and so often dismiss the driving optionbut again I would strongly reccomend the drive from Boston to NYC.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best time to arrive in NY by car avoiding worst traffic ?

Just remembered -it is also In the trip advisor orlando forums and the search functions work there.