We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

We are visiting NYC in March next year from the 20th for 7 nights. Considering visiting the zoo at some point but I'm now wondering how sensible that is given that the weather may not be great?

Obviously I realise that nobody can predict the weather but I'm just wondering what people's opinions are based on what the weather is normally like towards the end of March in New York?

We would only be going on a dry day but the temperature is probably more of an issue as nobody wants to be outside freezing cold all day!

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
8 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

I would plan it, but have a plan B. It can be very cold, windy, rainy, snowy in march. The Bronx Zoo is huge and you'll walk around outside for at least two or three hours.

Mentioned in this post
Bronx Zoo
Bronx Zoo
2,660 Reviews
Bronx, NY
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,724 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

If you do go to the https://bronxzoo.com/ you'll probably want to review the map so you can alternate indoor and outdoor exhibits.

The hours are slightly shorter in winter https://bronxzoo.com/visitor-info/faqs

If you decide not to, also consider the https://centralparkzoo.com/ smaller but still interesting.

Edited: 12:12 pm, August 20, 2017
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

March may still be too cold for tropical animals, such as giraffes, to be outdoors. Many of these are not on display in cold weather, but a giraffe facility allows you to see them.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

The monorail and Congo rain forest are seasonal so may not be open at that point

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,339 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

March is still barely the beginning of spring so it may be chillier and colder than you are used to (the blizzard of '88 was 22" of snow in late March) - but you can make plans with an alternative weather is bad. If cold almost all animals will be indoors - but many are still visible.

The Central Park zoo has many cold weather animals and might be a better choice but it's a lot smaller.

Check out the web sites of both.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park Zoo
Central Park Zoo
2,798 Reviews
New York City, NY
scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I think we will just need to play it by ear and if we happen to be blessed with a nice day then make a decision about going.

We are coming over from Scotland so used to cold weather to some degree but possibly not as cold you have in NYC over the winter!

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

Quite a bit of the zoo is closed in March and many of the animals are not outside.

As others have mentioned, the central park zoo is fully operational all year, and has a lot of "winter" animals (polar bears, snow leopards, penguins).

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...

The Central Park Zoo has grizzly bears now as their polar bear passed away a few years ago.

I've been to the Bronx Zoo in March (albeit a warm day) and it was worth it though no elephants as the Monorail is closed until May.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park Zoo
Central Park Zoo
2,798 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bronx Zoo
Bronx Zoo
2,660 Reviews
Bronx, NY
Reply to: Visiting Bronx zoo in March...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted