We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway safety

GLASGOW,SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Subway safety

my husband and have been to NYC before but have yet to try the subway can someone tell us how safe it is to travel on and when not to.

Harrington, DE
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway safety

I've been to NYC many times but not recently. Never had a problem but do be smart and keep your purse close to you, etc. It is the quickest and cheapest way to get around by far. We're going to NYC in a couple weeks and will most definitely be riding. If you're going as a tourist and want to do all the attraction things there is also a Grayline Tour double decker bus which you can get a 2 day pass for $49 and get on and off as much as you want for 48 hrs. a real good deal if it's like the one we did in Boston last year.

GLASGOW,SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway safety

thanks for the advice snewark as we are still in the planning stages we may call on your knowledge again

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway safety

I took the subway for the first time on my last trip to New York, in September. I was surprised at how clean it was, and not nearly as scary as I had thought! The people in the booths are very good at helping you get where you need to go, and some of the locals on the subway were also very helpful when we asked them where we needed to get off. And for $2, it sure beats a cab!

new york ny
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway safety

The subway is the easiest & fastest way to get around. You'll be surprised at how close they get you to your destination. They are all safe, the only thing I wouldn't do is go to another borough, Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx after 11-12 at night. Once you've been around and feel comfortable even that would not be a problem.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway safety

HiI guess it depends a bit where you go. My wife and I went to NYC for the first time in July and we only used the subway to get around and we took it from morning to quite late at night. We felt pretty safe and there were always lots of other people on the stations and on the trains. I have posted a trip report with some pictures from our trip to NYC on my homepage gardkarlsen.com by the way. Maybe you can find some useful information there.RegardsGard

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway safety

We used the subways frequently on our last trip to New York and found them no problem at all. We only saw the police on one occassion,in pursuit of what we presumed to be a bag snatcher. As with any sub or metro travel I would always advise caution with belongings but for reliabily, speed and cost they are ideal.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway safety

In addition to keeping your eye on your wallett, as another poster suggested, I would add --don't draw attention to yourself. By this I mean don't wear expensive clothing or jewelry or pricey sunglasses. If you're riding late at night, stand near other people or depending on the layout of the station, stay close to the information booth, if possible.

hemel hempstad,uk
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway safety

i was there last november with my daughter, i was quite scared of using the subway at first, but can honestly say i felt safer than i do in london, and they were so clean, nothing like you imagine. we used them the whole time we were there and they were so cheap. the staff in the booths are really helpful too if you get a bit lost. will definately be using it again when we go next march, best way to get about