We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Lag to Garden City

Saint Charles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Lag to Garden City

I'm traveling solo and will need transportation from LaGuardia to LaQuinta Garden City. Any recommendations?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

Aren't you renting a car? That's not an area I'd stay without a rental car. I assume you're not planning to visit New York City?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,077 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

A private car service. Are you aware that you wont be able to get around without a car in Garden City? You might want to rent a car.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,908 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

By public transit Q70 bus to Long Island Railroad commuter train station in Woodside. web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/Q70SBS.html then LIRR to Garden City http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/ Then a cab from the station.

You might also want to price a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

I assume you are visiting relatives, or traveling on business or going to visit Adelphi Univ. You will be 27 miles from Times Square. But it is not hard to get to Garden City by public transport.

You take the city's Q70 bus ($2.75) for 15 minutes to its second and last stop off the airport (Woodside). You get the Long Island Railroad from there. You have to get a train that goes to Garden City. You want the Hempstead Branch. The ride to Garden City takes about 40 minutes.

Often what you do is take any train from Woodside, and at Jamaica, you change for the Hempstead line (and not West Hempstead, completely different train line) . You can always ask a conductor; there is one at nearly every entrance to the train. You can look at this schedule:

…mta.info/lirr/Timetable/HempsteadAPPSMay16_…

It lists all the ways to get there from Woodside to Garden City; remember often (but not always) you have to change at Jamaica (don't worry the conductor announces it, and many people will be getting off at Jamaica).

Edited: 3:45 pm, March 28, 2017
Saint Charles...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

Thanks for the tips. I'm staying at La Quinta Garden City while taking a class at Hofstra. The hotel offers a shuttle service but unfortunately not to/from the airport. So basically I'm interested in the best ways to/from the airport. Once again thanks for the help :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

Are your meal at Hofstra? The La Quinta is not located in a good place for other amenities (restaurants or shops) without a car. It is not far from Roosevelt Field, which is a huge mall with a food court and a number of restaurants. But getting there means crossing a number of access roads with very heavy traffic and is not a walk I would be willing to make - certainly NOT after dark- there is simply no place for pedestrians to walk and you never see any.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

You might want to see if the shuttle is also available to take you to areas with restaurants. There is also probably delivery available from nearby restaurants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

I would definitely check with the hotel on both of these. The hotel has a free cold breakfast but no restaurant. I'm not sure of what places in that immediate area will deliver and you might end up needing a car to get around other than classes. How long will you be there?

Saint Charles...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

I believe the shuttle does make stops around town. I'll be there a week.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Lag to Garden City

There are a few restaurants nearby, but you will have to cross a 7-lane road to get to most of them--there's a Moe's, Maç'n Melts (yummy!), a pizza place (okay), a bar/grill, and maybe a deli are in a shopping center across from the hotel. As someone else mentioned, Roosevelt Field Mall is not too far. There are also a handful of chain restaurants within about a mile.

I'm not sure where the shuttle will go--maybe to the mall or some of the nearby office buildings. Once you get to the hotel, try to make a plan of how you are going to eat in the evening (I'm assuming you will eat on/near campus during the day.)