We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
469 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

Hi, we will be attending a concert at the New Coliseum, Uniondale. I've done a google search for public transport options and it seems quite complicated to get there from Manhattan (we're staying at Affinia Dumont)

Is there an easy way? Would it be crazy expensive to get a cab the whole way? Would it be worth renting a car for the night?

I have used the search function in TA abut the most recent forum questions are from 2013 so I was hoping things have changed since then!

Thanks!

Edited: 4:50 am, February 15, 2017
26 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,065 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

There is no easy way. Your options are to rent a car and drive, to use a car service like Uber ( NYC taxis are not an option) or to take the Long Island Railroad to Westbury and a taxi from the train station. You'd need to get a phone number of taxi for pickup back to the station and check what time the trains run.

http://www.nassaucoliseum.com/getting-here

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

I agree with all NYWhiz said above.

My only suggestion would be to take the LIRR to Hicksville rather than Westbury, even though Nassau Coliseum site noted Westbury. Hicksville station is larger, and has more train options. Some branch line trains stop at Westbury, but all stop at Hicksville.

Also there are always taxis at Hicksville, while Westbury can be hit or miss since it is a small station. The difference in distance from Hicksville to Nassau Coliseum compared with Westbury to Nassau Coliseum, is minimal, probably under a mile. Just a different route.

My daughter is in college in Westbury. While the Westbury train station is closer to campus, she always uses Hicksville due to frequency of trains and ease of use.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

If there are several people I would definitely rent a car - since getting a car service would cost at least $160 - $80 each way for the car and perhaps more if you are returning in the small hours. With a rental car you are not waiting for a car to turn up - but will have to learn to navigate Long Island, and that part is a massive very densely populated suburb.

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
643 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

Have you considered staying overnight on LI, either at the Long Island Marriott (right next door, free parking, would not have to move the car), or one of the hotels closer to Roosevelt Field mall (would have to pay for parking at the Coliseum). You could also train/taxi to the Marriott.

If you do rent a car, I suggest renting at JFK since you have to go out that way anyway. Depending on the day of the week, you could end up traveling to Long Island in rush hour traffic.

Have you already purchased tickets? IMO, it seems silly to stay in Manhattan and then go out to LI for a concert. Not blaming you, since on a map it probably looks really close, but in reality is not that accessible.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

LIRR to Hicksville is definitely the easiest way by cab but there's also a bus from Hempstead.

From the Coliseum website...

Take the Long Island Railroad to Hempstead train station, walk one (1) block to the Hempstead Bus Terminal. Take either the N70, N71, or N72 bus, which will drop you off on Hempstead Turnpike opposite the New Coliseum,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

Sorry, but the Hempstead bus terminal is not someplace that you want to go late at night and in the evening buses will be very scarce - so I would not consider this a realistic option.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
469 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

Thanks so much for all the replies - what a pain this will be!!

We have already bought the tickets. My husband is a crazy Metallica fan so he could not pass up the opportunity to see them while we are over there. I just don't think he considered the practicalities of it!

So, I've been on the LIRR site and by the looks of it the trains are fairly frequent from Penn Station to Hicksville (thanks for the tip SINY Traveler). I have been on uber and got an estimate of around $30 so assume a taxi would be slightly more than that. I expect between taxi/uber and rail tickets we will be looking at about $100USD- $120USD so it's still a cheaper option than renting a car and paying for gas and parking.

I'm hoping the area around Hicksville station is not too dodgy. I think there will be quite a few people around after the concert so safety in numbers!?

Thanks again for your help.

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
643 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

I second not going to Hempstead.

Hicksville should be fine, and there should be taxis there. I would have Uber/Lyft or the number of a local taxi company as back-up. I see the show is on a Wednesday, so you probably don't want to be driving out to Long Island in rush hour.

If your husband is a super fan, he is probably in some Facebook groups or fan forums, so maybe you can find some other people to travel with.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

I am adding to the don't go to Hempstead. That is why I didn't mention it earlier.

The area around the Hicksville train station is fine. It is a major commuter hub and even after the concert will still be busy.

There is a taxi/car service at the station. You could try to find out what the rate would be from there to the Coliseum as well.

http://www.li-yellowcab.com/HIcksville.html

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
469 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??

Thanks everyone.

I'll be sure to jot down the taxi company phone number just in case!

Reply to: Manhattan to The New Coliseum, LI - nightmare to get there??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted