We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamilton tickets

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hamilton tickets

Hi, does anyone know what happens to unsold premium tickets (listed at $849 on ticketmaster) for Hamilton? Do they sell these through the cancellation line, and if so, at what price? Or do they always end up getting sold at that price by showtime? Thanks for any information you can share.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,873 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamilton tickets

They do sometimes end up in the cancellation line at full price. Check the Cancellation Line thread on the message board here: http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/

for best info

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamilton tickets

Even the premium tickets for Hamilton sell out. If you want tickets to Hamilton, you need to go the reseller route or put yourself on their e-mail list & pounce when they tell you the next block of seats is for sale.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamilton tickets

Thanks Northern. I have read (some) of that thread, but didn't see anyone sharing personal experience mentioning being offered the premium seats after they went up to $849. Seems that it might be hard to find people waiting in the cancellation line willing to spend $849 for a ticket, though who knows...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamilton tickets

Thanks Blume.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamilton tickets

The cancellation line may work but you have to get there very early & wait a long time for a limited supply.

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamilton tickets

About an hour before the show starts, some tickets on StubHub drop significantly in price. You have to be careful though, some of them are pickup, and some are instant download. It's still above face value, but if you can score a ticket for $300 I'd call that winning.

new york
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamilton tickets

Yes, premium tickets do sometimes end up in the cancellation line for full price. Some shows drop the premium price to regular price on the day of the show if they haven't sold, but I have never heard of that happening with Hamilton (usually when tickets get released last minute for Hamilton, they sell super fast).

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamilton tickets

If last minute tickets become available to you, and require printing (not scan or box office pick-up), consider among others the Marriott Marquis or a FedEx location if nearby.,

Edited: 5:17 pm, January 26, 2017
Mentioned in this post
New York Marriott Marquis
11,927 Reviews
New York City, NY
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hamilton tickets

Thanks to everyone for the information. Still haven't decided what to do but it's very helpful to understand the different options.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
285 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hamilton tickets

I just recently bought same-day tickets to Hamilton off of stubhub, so can offer some fairly detailed advice. I hope people actually find this interesting/useful! If not, apologies for my rambling!

Prices definitely do drop in the last hour before the show, but I watched availability and last minute price drops for a couple of weeks before my trip and can offer some caveats and advice

- If you have limited days when you know you can see the show, look now and get a general sense of what the ticket availability is for that date, and what the currently listed prices are, looking specifically at the number of tickets you need. I was purchasing a single, some tickets are only sold in pairs. Some days have a lot of singles available, some have almost none.

- If you can choose what day you are going to try for tickets, choose the day with the biggest volume of tickets available - it is most likely that some of those tickets won't sell before the day-of.

- decide your price point and your risk tolerance. Some days I saw tickets drop as low as $200, but there is always the risk someone else is going to snap it up at $300, $400 or more. If you are in NYC multiple days and are willing to play this game multiple times, you can risk waiting longer for a bigger price drop. I only had one evening show and one matinee as options, and I could already see the matinee options for my second day were very limited, so I bit the bullet and paid a higher price a couple of hours before the evening show. (For some perverse reason I kept watching the site up until show time, and no single tickets actually sold at a lower price, so fortunately I made the right call)

- know that when you go to stubhub, most of the tickets in the lower half of the price range on any given day are likely 'obstructed view'. If you use the site "a view from my seat" you can good sense of how obstructed the view is various categories of these seats. I ended up with a ticket in Box C - feedback on the view from seat site was that these seats are very good despite the obstructed view and I would agree. Honestly the view is truly obstructed, but the closeness to the stage for the majority of the show was spectacular.

- for purchasing last minute seats on stubhub, they have a 'last minute pickup center' in the basement of the Courtyard Marriott on W. 40th Street. There you can either pick up real tickets, or they will also print an instant download ticket for you. (The ticket I bought was a real ticket, but I asked and confirmed they would also print a downloadable ticket.) So if you want keep your options open until the very last minute for either of these types of tickets, this is a good place to position yourself. I had some concerns there may be a line of people waiting to pick up tickets, but on the two occasions I used the pick up center (used it again for Dear Evan Hansen the next day) it took less than a minute. The theater is about a 10 minute walk from the Courtyard. (The Marriott Marquis that LittleBiffOne mentions is much closer, but if you buy an actual ticket, you would have to backtrack to the Courtyard to pick it up.)

- again, its important to emphasize prices and availability on stubhub can vary tremendously from day to day. As I type this, 20 minutes before show time for tonight's show, the only tickets available are some box seats listed at $799 each. For tomorrow night, there is a box seat listed for $507. Having more days to play this game will definitely be in your favor.

- one last note - for those who haven't used stubhub before, the fees on the ticket when I hit the purchase button were significant - they made ticketmaster fees look paltry in comparison. So be aware of that when setting your desired price point.

Based on the crazy amount of time I spent observing sales patterns, I would say that with just a bit of luck and more than one day to try, you can get 'regular' priced (probably obstructed view) tickets with a face value of $179/$199 for anywhere between $300 and $500 (before fees).

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Dear Evan Hansen
Dear Evan Hansen
191 Reviews
New York City, NY
11,927 Reviews
New York City, NY