We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

I am trying to book a trip from Boston to Penn Station. From there I will need to get on the LIRR to get to Garden City. Do I need to book the LIRR leg in advance or can one just buy a ticket at any time?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

I'm not even sure how you'd buy an LIRR single ticket in advance. They're bought from vending machines at the station right before travel. While there is a surcharge if you try to buy it on the train, as long as you buy it in the station, there's no advance purchase fare. LIRR trains also don't sell out - they just crush load.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

For your convenience, here is a map of Penn Station. You will note that the Long Island trains are in the northeast corner. These are commuter trains and one does not buy tickets in advance as mentioned. They have ticket machines and ticket windows in their area.

http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

There is an app where you can buy tickets for the LIRR on your phone without a surcharge in advance. If you decide to do it, you activate the tickets right before you get on the train.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

The app is MTA eTIX.

5. Re: Getting from Penn Station Amtrak to LIRR.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 14, 2018