We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Museums in NYC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Small Museums in NYC

Many visitors seem to focus on the larger museums (such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History) and expect to see everything within a few hours. Such places really require days or even weeks to adequately explore. So if you do go, I suggest checking their websites and focus on a few exhibits that seem to speak to you. But there are a good number of small museums that are gems and can be covered in a short time. I was pleased to see that one of today’s writers (MightyRedEngland) mentioned one of these smaller gems (The New York Historical Society). One of its major current exhibits is “The Battle of Brooklyn” (unfortunately closing on January 8). This is a marvelous exhibit, especially if you have an interest in American History. This was a crucial battle of the American Revolution in which George Washington’s army was overwhelmed by British and Hessian troops in Brooklyn but miraculously managed to escape to Manhattan to fight again. It was like an American Dunkirk and could easily have meant the end of the Revolution if things had not gone so well. For children, the annual Toys and Trains exhibit (plus the children’s Action Center downstairs) is a lot of fun. And don’t forget sitting down for the multimedia presentation on the history of New York. (There is another such multimedia presentation at the Museum of the City of New York. However, I recommend this museum only in the Spring and Summer, when you can also go across the street to the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park.) There are also lots of easily doable, small art museums. My favorite is the Frick Collection.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
28 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Small Museums in NYC

My favorite is the Morgan Library & Museum. I love prints, the museum is centrally located & there is a nice airy café on the 1st floor (one of my issues with lots of eateries in NYC is they are closed in & I love it when an eatery has lots of big windows.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
16 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Small Museums in NYC

We love the Rubin Museum, well off the main tourist trail it's dedicated to Himalayan art and one of the best exhibitions I've ever seen was there, on Tibetan medicine. Nice cafe too. Even more niche was the Morbid Anatomy Museum.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
77 reviews
53 helpful votes
3. Re: Small Museums in NYC

The Cloisters is part of the Metropolitan museum of Art, but its quite far away and one of the best in NYC

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
106,207 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Small Museums in NYC

My favorite

Frick.org

New York City
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
77 reviews
53 helpful votes
5. Re: Small Museums in NYC

I personally have not been there, but people say positive things about the Neue Galerie

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
30 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Small Museums in NYC

I love the Merchant's House Museum because it's a true time capsule:

http://merchantshouse.org

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
87 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: Small Museums in NYC

The Neue Galerie aside from its specialized collection of German-Austrian art from the early 1900s is fun for it is housed in an old Gilded Age mansion. You can see how the upper crust lived.

There are a number of smaller museums along eastern side of 5th Ave. Fifth Ave. ranging from the Africa House at 109th St. to the Museum of Sex at 27th St.

Edited: 7:43 pm, December 17, 2016
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,632 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Small Museums in NYC

(There is another such multimedia presentation at the Museum of the City of New York. However, I recommend this museum only in the Spring and Summer, when you can also go across the street to the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park.

Just spent the day there with work friends that I worked with 35 years ago. We had a great time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
9. Re: Small Museums in NYC

NYC has dozens of smaller museums, from those listed above to the Museum of Sex, Museum del Barrio, Asia Society and a huge number of others. That's why there's one for everyone who comes to NYC>

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,150 posts
18 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Small Museums in NYC

I really enjoyed that Battle of Brooklyn exhibit at the New-York Historical Society. And the short film about the history of the city.

The Frick Collection, Neue Galerie, Museum of the City of New York are all great.

The very small Museum of the FIT has very special displays of fashion throughout the years and is free.

The Tenement Museum is another good one, from an immigrant history perspective.

The recently re-opened Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace is really good, and free.

Out in the other boroughs, the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens is great for film and TV buffs.

The stunning 3D Panorama (every single building, bridge and airport in all of the boroughs in miniature!) at the Queens Museum is also fun to see.

In Brooklyn, the Transit Museum is an underground rabbit warren full of all things transit related from buses to trains to how the subway works.

Also in Brooklyn is the Brooklyn Museum which sometimes has some excellent special exhibits. And right by Prospect Park (a mini Central Park) for a wander too.