We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Any opinions? I just saw short pieces of these shows on the Today Show a while ago and would like to go to one or the other. Never been to a Broadway Show in NYC, so am hoping to make the correct choice.

Also, really want orchestra seats, down front, in the middle. I checked all the discount sites...and there are no discouts available for either show in May. Do the orchestra seats EVER get discounted? Any suggestions?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

You're welcome. If you go for Fiddler, you can't go wrong, you will love it...I did.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

There are not discounts for Avenue Q at this time, that is why you cannot find it. There should be for Fiddler, however.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Here's the thing: Nicky has never been to a Broadway performance before.

I, too, prefer "Fiddler" to "La Cage" in a general sense but I'm trying to put myself in the postion of someone for whom this will be a completely new experience. That's why I recommended shows that are more traditional, have achieved "classic" status and which have showstopping elements to them.

There's an "arch" to Musical Theater action: a person speaks until words don't suffice and when the emotions reach a certain exitability, expression is required in song, and when the emotions are too big for song, the action must become dance.

So many musicals today simply ignore this axiom: songs are placed conveniently irregardless of whether they advance the action (Dancing Queen) and dance is injected simply for the purpose of a production number (Good Vibrations).

But think back to a classic like "West Side Story", "Carousel". or "My Fair Lady". They were great, in part, because they adhered to a classic structure.

Today, that structure is being threatened. TWO musicals this season alone took preexisting music and attempted to build a story around it.

That's not the case with "Avenue Q", of course, but it is the case that "Avenue Q" does not treat the audience to the whole enchilada--a legendary score; time-capsule choreography; beautiful stage design, and characters that wring every possible human emotion out of you.

"Fiddler" delivers those things in spades and "La Cage" somewhat less so. That's why they're classics and people still sing their songs 30 years later.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Carpenter, I agree with you that Fiddler should be the first choice, but I also think Avenue Q is unique. Sorry to disagree but besides "The Best of Times" I did not find LA Cage all that great. Just one persons opinion.

It is too bad that 42nd Street is not playing, because that is what I would recommend to all as the quintessential Broadway musical. Oh well, all things must end.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Ah, but we do agree on the "classics"--at least two out of three.

I don't deny "Avenue Q" is unique; I'm just saying for a first timer to Broadway, why not serve them the whole enchilada: a great score, thrilling choreography, gorgeouse set design, and a story that has played to packed houses around the world for 30 years?

Look at it this way: if someone had never been to a legendary New York Restaurant, would you send them to Per Se, The River Cafe, or the 21 Club?

Per Se is certainly unique but it hasn't proved itself yet by staying power. Remember, "Thoroughly Modern Mille" took down six Tony Awards and only ran for two or three years.

Now you can argue that it was not as original as "Avenue Q" and that would certainly be an argument with merit. The public seemed to adore the show ("Millie"), the critics bonded it, but it still had a relatively short shelf life.

My bottom line: go with the tried and the true.

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Carpenter & NYCgirl......

I absolutely LOVE your most interesting comments!!

Now, to confuse the matter....We have seen Broadway Shows that travel and make it to Sacramento...ie Jesus Christ Super Star, Phantom, and what was the Billy Joel musical one? (can't remember), along with others. We have never gone to one in NYC. Is the seating real "tight" in the Broadway theatres? I know in San Francisco the seating can be.....my knees in my eyes, and I don't have real long legs.

Thanks again, and again........I will let you know what I finally get tickets for. Have to admit I am kinda leaning toward DRS because I love to laugh and all the shows we have seen have been mostly music. But I do love the story in Fiddler. Hard to decide.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

The seating at the Marriot Marquis where "La Cage" is playing is wonderful.

The same can be said for the venue where "Fiddler" is playing.

Tight seating is one reason--with the exception of these two theaters--why I always try to land front row mezzanine.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Yes, it depends on the theater. The older theaters are very tight....even for me, an average size person, so if you are a big guy, you are in trouble. Front mezzanine, as Carpenter said, is usually better, but I had those seats at The Lion King and they were super tight. I also try to get aisle seating, at least you can angle yourself a bit.