We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Any opinions? I just saw short pieces of these shows on the Today Show a while ago and would like to go to one or the other. Never been to a Broadway Show in NYC, so am hoping to make the correct choice.

Also, really want orchestra seats, down front, in the middle. I checked all the discount sites...and there are no discouts available for either show in May. Do the orchestra seats EVER get discounted? Any suggestions?

nyc
Level Contributor
421 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

700 Sundays was wonderful but it's a 1 man show. Depends on how much of a Billy Crystal fan you are. Haven't seen DRS but have heard raves. Orchestra seats do get discounted - there was a discount for DRS until end of March from playbill. It's harder to get discounts on Saturday night shows. Generally discounts are offered on shows that are new or need some help in filling house. Check the discount web sites, they'll probably be a few options to your liking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Billy Crystal show is only on through May 21. It's gotten absolute raves. If you find seats, they won't be at a discount FOR SURE. You might have to pay a premium. You might try applause-tickets.com where they're $199/person

DRS got mixed reviews. There are discounts but you won't find any right now for May. The discounted seats may not be located where you want to sit. I would either pay a premium if you can get 700 Sundays, or wait and see if you can get a discount for DRS. You won't get a discount on a Sat. night.

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Thanks so much.........

We are looking at weeknight/or day May 17, 18 or 19. Just really want good seats. Think I will take you advice and pay a premium for Billy Crystal and wait for discount for DRS. I like Crystal, but wouldn't call myself a HUGE fan of his. But the bits and pieces I have seen of this show it looks great.

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOO much!

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

HELP!!

Just went to applause-tickets.com, broadwaybox.com, theatremania.com and playbill..........called the toll free number at applause and 700 Hundred Sundays comes up sold out. Now I know if my name was Hilton, or Bush, or Clinton I could probably get tickets somewhere! We are going to be in NYC May 17, 18, 19 and 20th. Anyone have any hints on getting tickets to SOLD OUT shows?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Unfortunately Billy Crystal is the hottest ticket in town, and has been sold out for a long time. You could check ebay or craigslist for tickets, that's about it. Sorry.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Since you asked my opinion, I'll give it to you as honestly as I can.

I would not endorse either show for someone attending his or her first Broadway show.

Even the best one-man shows are ultimately resigned to the dim corners of memory. Great musicals--and I mean GREAT--stay with you a lot longer.

To that end, I would strongly suggest that a first-timer choose between "Fiddler and the Roof" or "La Cage Aux Folles".

Both are Broadway legends, both feature music that has stood the test of time (There are no "Tradition"'s or "I Am What I Am's" in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.)

The choreography in "Fiddler" is thrilling (the "bottle dance" at the end of Act 1 is worth the prcie of admission alone) and the play is derived from one of western literature's great sources.

"La Cage" is sparkling and there may not be a better Act I finale song than "I am What I Am".

So there it is. I really can't speak to the seating situation for these show because I would be giving you only a tepid endorsement of the evening itself.

Just make sure your first visit to a theater is a night to remember--without the iceberg, of course.

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

We saw 700 Sundays in January, (we also saw Wicked and Rent ) it was fantastic and Im not a huge BC fan.

We were staying at the metropolitan hotel on lexington and we asked the concierge to get us tickets - he did ! They were $170 each ... but that night henry Kissinger and David letterman were in the audience. The next night on his show DL said 700 sundays was the best show he had seen EVER !

Have a great time

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

Carpenter, I agree about Fiddler, but not about La Cage....it was just ok for me. I guess it is all a matter of taste. I did see Billy Crystal, thought it was wonderful, but would not pay $200.00 or more per ticket for anything! There is a lot of quality available for full price ($100.00) or discounted, as both Fiddler & LaCage are. In my opinion, I think that Avenue Q is one of the best shows ever, it is unique, irreverant, & wickedly funny with a great score. This would be my #1 recommendation, followed by Fiddler & Hairspray. Some would say Phanton, not me, some would say The Lion King, I would put it in the top 5, others Wicked, that is good, too. There is also a number of very good dramas out now, if that is your cup of tea.

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

NYCgirl, Carpenter and the others!

Thanks sooo much for your imput. We LOVED "Fiddler on the Roof" movie and still have the music from it. So maybe we will take your advice on that! I was checking on pices on the internet for 700 sundays where people are putting up their tkts for sale and know there is NO WAY I will spend that kind of money!

Again thanks alot!

California
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 700 Sundays or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? SEATING

NYCGIRL,

went to the differents sites....broadwaybox and so forth and could not find anything on Ave Q. What am I doing wrong?