We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas to Carlsbad: best way?

too far from the...
Level Contributor
324 posts
333 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas to Carlsbad: best way?

Going to caverns from dallas. Is it better to take

I20 to SR84 to 180/62

OR

I20 to 176

OR

I20 to pecos & north on 285?

TIA!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas to Carlsbad: best way?

Since most of this route is in Texas, maybe ask on one of the TX forums. Have you used Google maps to get directions? I have found them to be accurate timewise. Hope someone has some help for you.

Carlsbad, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas to Carlsbad: best way?

I would either take the 62/180 or go to pecos and get on the 285. Don't forget to check out our shops in Downtown Carlsbad mist are closed Sunday and Monday. Also check out our beach area where you can rent paddle boats. And the livind desert state park. For food The Stock Exchange for dinner, Trinity Hotel lunch or dinner, pecos river cafe breakfast or lunch or yellow Brix for lunch. Others are good but these are my favorite. Alfo JR'S burrito truck in front of Lake side meat breakfast and lunch. Have a fun trip

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas to Carlsbad: best way?

Normally, I like to mix the interstates with some 2-lane highways, the latter being just to see some towns, ranches, etc. "up close."

In your case however, there is little "scenery" along that route. I would stick with I-20 to Pecos, and then north into Carlsbad on US-285. You should be able to make excellent time by doing this. Have a safe trip!

4. Re: Dallas to Carlsbad: best way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, June 23, 2014