We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

Planning on driving up from Austin, TX and staying in Carlsbad on Sunday (will be arriving around 8pm) in early July. What are our options for a nice meal?

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

Not, much for you. There aren't that many good restaurants in Carlsbad to begin with, and the better ones probably close early on Sundays. There is a Denney's if you are really hungry, or some fast food places (Mickey D's), but that is about it. Maybe an Applebees, but being Sunda, they might not stay open as late as they do on weekends.

You may want to stop in Fort Stockton, Plenty of places to eat there.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

Thanks sandiaman! I was getting that impression after reading the reviews here on Tripadvisor. Any suggestions on places in Fort Stockton?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

I never dreamed I too would be recommending you stop in Fort Stockton, Texas for dinner, but I am. :-) Carlsbad's restaurants tend to be of the "local clientel" type, which can mean good food, but most are not open for dinner...or on weekends!

If you haven't visited West Texas before, you have to understand this is the "boonies!" A good restaurant may be 100 miles from the previous one. Because of the heavy I-10 traffic, Fort Stockton will have more restaurants open late. If you must, try a truckstop cafe...usually not bad as truckers know how to eat! :-)

I traveled between San Antonio and El Paso many times in the past, but not recently, so I can't make a recommendation. Check out the Restaurant reviews link for Fort Stockton here on TA.

You could wait until Pecos, but I wouldn't take the chance as it's even smaller. Keep gassed up (the car I mean), and hydrated. Have a safe trip.

Edited: 6:03 pm, June 13, 2011
massachusetts
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

Thanks NM_Photojournalist! I will check the restaurant link for fort stockton.

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

Chili's will be about your only decent option. We have a brand new IHOP opening later this month near Chili's, if that helps. too. We have some interesting restaurants here - some good and some not so good - but they do have quirky hours.

Have a safe trip traveling here from my home state! =)

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

PS: Depending on how long you're in town, here are some other ones to consider after Sunday night (I say this from a perspective of having lived in a large metro area until a few years ago):

- The Trinity Hotel (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

- The Stock Exchange (lunch and dinner - dinner's better)

- No Whiner Diner (lunch and dinner)

- Red Chimney (BBQ - lunch and dinner)

- Blue House and YellowBrix (coffee houses and lunch)

As I said before, the days/hours are quirky, so be aware, but they're worth it. I can tell you specs about any of them if you want to know. I can also tell you what's best to avoid. =)

massachusetts
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

Thanks for all the info AliCat! Unfortunately we won't be there for more than that night/morning. We'll most likely be eating breakfast at The Trinity Hotel and then heading out. Thanks for your kind offer of assistance :)

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

You'll like The Trinity's breakfast. Enjoy, and have a great trip!

Sanford, Florida
Level Contributor
147 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

The Trinity is awesome- but if you're going to stop and eat in Fort Stockton, for the love of God, don't eat at the KFC. Trust me.

10. Re: restaurants open (8:30 or later) on a Sunday night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 02, 2012