We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 12

Sun City, AZ
7 posts
Save Topic
Highway 12

We will be leaving Torrey and traveling to Bryce. We are driving a Chevy longbed and pulling a 36foot bumper pull travel trailer....Will we be able to make it on this road? I have read that the downside outside of Boulder is very narrow and has boulder overhangs?? I would assume lots of trialers travel this road but want to check and make sure. I have only driven it one time a few yrs ago in a small car. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 12

You won't be the first.

Sun City, AZ
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 12

Thanks I know that...not very helpful tho...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 12

Sorry. Not sure how much there is to add. You've been there. Others have done it.

Drive carefully.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 12

People do it every day in the summer, they do tend to hog the road on the narrow sections! I can't think of any actual overhangs but certainly the cliff is right next to the road in the Boulder area.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 12

I've done it in a 24 foot motorhome pulling a 28 foot toy box trailer. No problems.You should be alright.

If you are going thru the Zion Tunnel on your route pay close attention to heights and lengths.

Sun City, AZ
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 12

Thanks!! We go to Zion a lot so we are not going there this time...Thanks for the info! :)

Sun City, AZ
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 12

Thanks for all the info! I think we will make it...the hubby will drive so should be all good. Are there any "DON'T Miss" areas we should be sure to see. We will be staying in Bluff as a base for 2 nights and checking out that area & then traveling to Torrey as a base and staying 3 nights, then probably heading to Knab or that area...any suggestions welcome.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 12

With a rig that size you'll just have to stop where you can, many of the places won't have big enough parking.

Sun City, Arizona...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Highway 12

That is why we are stay in Torrey 4 days...use that as a base will go out & see things from there...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highway 12

Do you have 2 profiles now?