We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in Torrey

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
October in Torrey

I will be visiting Torrey the weekend of Oct 15th for a couple days of hiking and relaxing. I'd like anyone's input on specific hikes and/or places to visit.

I for sure want to see Calf Creek and hear it's amazing. I would like to get down Hole in the Rock road, but will be driving a car. Would it be feasible if I didn't have an SUV or truck?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October in Torrey

From Torrey, the closest place for hiking is Capitol Reef National Park. Calf Creek Falls and the Hole-in-the-Rock road are closer to Boulder and Escalante. You can get pretty far on the Hole-in-the -Rock road in a regular car, depending on the conditions. If it's rained recently you'd need a 4x4, but we drove out to the trailhead for Peekaboo Gulch and found several regular sedans. The road was dry that day.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October in Torrey

You should spend a day in Capitol Reef and then a day in Grand Staircase/Escalante, you'd get the best of both worlds!

You don't need an SUV for (most of) the Hole-In-The-Rock, the Burr Trail or the Bullfrog-Notom Road, your passenger car should be able to handle these roads effortlessly (unless it's rained recently).

Calf Creek is a must-see, but so is the Escalante River. The drive over Boulder Mountain from Torrey to Escalante is (IMHO) the best part of Highway 12.

Have a great visit!

*Pixie*

Highland, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October in Torrey

Don't forget to drive by Fish Lake. Lots of beautiful fall leaves and a beautiful drive. Fishing is great in October & November, and lots of hiking trails. They also have cabins you can stay in. Beautiful area.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October in Torrey

The Fall color on the road from Torrey to Hanksville is also beautiful, with wonderful hiking in Capitol Reef, as already suggested above.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October in Torrey

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think we'll for sure hit Calf Creek and a day in Capitol Reef. It's not going to be a long visit, but I can't wait to have a minication.

6. Re: October in Torrey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, January 01, 2017