We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flies

boston
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flies

Any tips on dealing with the flies? specific insect repellent that works, time of day, how to get the "wind report" to find the right beach, pond versus beach, bay versus ocean....will not let Mother Nature spoil my trip to the Cape.

Montreal
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flies

Stay away from bay beaches with tall grass / marsh next to them and you should be good.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,571 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flies

The green head flies are attracted to a certain color of blue, that color is the one that you'll see on the boxes (traps) in the marshes. Don't wear a blue bathing suit. Yes, this is real advice if funny.

Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flies

No kidding - We visited the Cape last summer & brought our BLUE beach umbrella and BLUE beach chairs and were swarmed by beach flies while everyone else seemed to be having a dandy time. Whilst cycling we saw the BLUE fly traps in the marshes and the lights went on....

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flies

My experience is that the greenhead flies are worst on the Bay-side beaches. On rare occasion (usually in late August, as I recall??) we have some greenheads on our Nantucket Sound beaches, generally near marshy areas. Never known them to be an issue on the Ocean side - but someone who lives down that way might correct me on that.

I wasn't aware of the greenheads' attraction to the color blue - but now that you mention it, I guess there's a reason the fly traps are blue. Silly me, I just assumed it was a fashion statement ;-)

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flies

Update ...

I knew I had read or heard something somewhere about the greenheads and the new moon in August. So I just went and looked, and sure enough. Apparently there have been scientific studies of the greenheads on Cape Cod, and here's part of what they determined:

If it's been a warm, dry spring, the greenheads appear after the new moon in June and disappear after the full moon at the end of July or beginning of August.

After a cool, damp spring, they appear after the full moon in June and disappear after the new moon in August.

Here's where I found the info: http://home.capecod.net/~petersre/id17.html

The part about the greenheads is about 3/4 way down the page.

Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flies

Another problem we had last year at White Crest beach are not Greenheads but relentlessly biting flies that looked just like a common house-fly (maybe a tad smaller). Repellent didn't work (with DEET) and at one point I was wrapped in my beach towel and they still managed to find a spot to bite. We couldn't get a moment's peace except for going in the water.

I still don't know what those are or what would work. We're heading back this year but I'm dreading the beach.

7. Re: flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:45 am, June 29, 2013