We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

into the past; realistic about present

Which Wellfleet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
into the past; realistic about present

During the 1940's, 50's, and 60's my parents owned a cottage on the dunes in South Wellfleet. I recall when they sold it they had to sell it Cape Cod National Sea Shore, so of course the place is certainly long-gone now.

I myself have not been to Cape Cod since the mid-60's. My husband, who has NEVER been to Cape Cod (he is in his 70's) would like to spend a few days there over the long Thanksgiving weekend. He says he would like to see P-Town; I am open to staying there but of course would also consider Truro, Welfleet, Eastham (where I was once famously arrested) or Orleans.

So for the Experts and of course anyone else who wishes to chime-in I have a ton of questions!!!!! Here are the first few:

1) Where should we stay? Price is not an object in particular, but: a) I don't care how much I pay if the inn itself is the destination and has great food etc; b) If we are in an area that we will be away from the room all day and eating elsewhere, a reasonably-priced motel/hotel is OK.

2. We like walking, and beaches.

3. We are talking about Thanksgiving. Is it possible to get decent meals that day? Are many inns closed?

Thank you in advance,

Marjorie

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: into the past; realistic about present

During the winter, I think it makes more sense to stay in a the more populous areas where there are some year-round stores and restaurants. Given your history, Provincetown seems like an ideal place for you. I would write into the Provincetown Forum for info on what's open on Thanksgiving, but you are more likely to find more places there .

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: into the past; realistic about present

Marjorie, you indicate that you are from Falmouth???

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: into the past; realistic about present

How about some Cape Cod charm at The Red Inn in Provincetown? Here's a link to their waterfront accommodations and they serve wonderful meals as well. http://www.theredinn.com/accomodations.html

You might try calling them today for a dinner reservation. If they are booked up ask them to steer you to other comparable options. They will know all the restauranteers in town and understand that you want a quality experience since you are checking with them first.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: into the past; realistic about present

whoops...change that e to a u. restauranteurs.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: into the past; realistic about present

That's Falmouth, MAINE Charlie!

Thank you for your responses. I'll check out the Provincetown forum.

Best wishes,

Marjorie

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: into the past; realistic about present

Cessna, so nice to see you here ..:)

I too love P Town..Mews, wow...soups at Lobster Pot, strolling the streets. Not sure how Thanksgiving is but if regulars here say it's open it should be amazing..keep us posted.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: into the past; realistic about present

If you stick with The Red Inn then you may indeed have a three night minimum. Are you planning to drive or to fly? If you drive you could work it so that you would have three nights but actually two DAYS to fill on the Cape. Why? You could stop along the way onto and off of the Cape. Coming onto the Cape you might stop in Plymouth and visit the Plimouth Plantation or spend less time and tour the Mayflower on the harbor. (Or do something in Boston even.) Departing the Cape why not stop in Sandwich and visit some of the attractions there including a stroll out over the marsh on the famous boardwalk. Then have a late lunch at http://www.dunbartea.com/locale.htm before you hit the road. You could take the slow route (6A) during the morning to Sandwich and see the old sea captain's homes, one of a kind shops and galleries all along the way.

So for your two days in Ptown you could spend one day going up into the Pilgrim Monument and into the back of the ground floor museum for the story of the pilgrims, eat, walk the beach if weather permits, visit with the artists in the galleries, eat some more, shop along Commercial St., enjoy the happy hour crowd and see if there is a show you'd enjoy that evening and did I mention eat.....dine at the Red Inn for dinner or one of the other wonderful restaurants. The other day you can poke around in Orleans, walk the paths at beautiful Ft. Hill, shop the stores that line Main St. in Chatham, go to the Lighthouse for the magnificent view and drive on out onto Morris Island. Drive back and up Shore Rd to the luxury Chatham Bars Inn for a lovely setting and overpriced lunch. Or eat light downtown at someplace on Main St. like Chatham Cookware. Be sure to get a cup of the nice tea there. That evening, it's back to Provincetown for dinner and perhaps a romantic time by the fireplace in your room?? What do you think?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,970 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: into the past; realistic about present

Oh and by the way Marjorie, yes, I am curious. So, what were you in for?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: into the past; realistic about present

This advice above is excellent. P'town is the place and it has so much to offer. Be sure to get a glimpse of the Provincelands (the provincetown portion of the National Seashore, it is gorgeous).

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: into the past; realistic about present

Lunch in Chatham is a treat at Chatham Bars Inn, The Impudent Oyster or The Chatham Squire. The coffee shops there are good for a quick snack.

However, traffic will be heavy on the Cape during the Thanksgiving weekend, (highest travel weekend of the year nationwide) so you might just decide to stay in Provincetown and enjoy the atmosphere there.

We have learned to avoid The Lobster Pot in Provincetown, overpriced and really just mediocre.

cessnapilot: You flying in?