We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

Which Chinle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

What is the best time of day for doing a tour of the canyon in mid October please?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,362 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

I would choose a morning tour. It might be chilly at the start, but it will warm as the sun rises. Better light IMO and the tour will last until mid day at least.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

Thank you for your help, will do that.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

Think best to call the outfitter for best time of the day. My pick in october would be the midday tour. We recently have been to CdC in october and the light midday was excellent in the canyon.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

You are so fortunate to be going to Canyon de Chelly in October. Wonderful time of year. Contact Daniel Draper at Twin Trails Scenic Tours danieldraper06@yahoo.com or 928-3490994 if you are looking to photograph the Canyon. He is an excellent guide and a photographer so he will know exactly what time to get you where you want to go. If you have the time and the money spend an entire day with him, it will be money well spent. I can't say enough good things about him. We just returned from the canyon in July. He was prompt, knew the canyon and knew the light. Our first trip with him, but definitely not the last

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

We will be in CdC for one night only, coming from Monument Valley. We plan a jeep tour in MV prior to our departure, so I doubt an afternoon tour in CdC will be possible. That means we will probably not be able to opt for a tour that lasts most of the day. What advice do you all have as far as our CdC tour options. We like to get good photos, but are not serious photographers, e.g. no tripods, lens, etc. We will be heading to Winslow when we leave Cdc and hope to make stops at Hubbell, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and Holbrook.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,362 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

CdC is not just about photos. It's as much about history and culture, and the canyon is much deeper and complex than Monument Valley. Access is even more limited and technical as vehicles are basically driving up the river. As such it requires even more time than Monument Valley. Be prepared to take a minimum of a half day to see and learn about CdC.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

Hi again Red Rox

well with national park closure we are quickly re-routing

oct 9 nite in Monument Valley

oct 10 blocked out of grand canyon south rim

oct 11 booked in seona 3 nites....

ok ..my ?

If we leave M.V. by 8:30 am

head to canyon de chelly

what do we have time to do?

should we stay in a hotel in chelly? ..today I see availability..or stay some place prettier and closer to Sedona

will we be able to see anything in the petrified forest...ANY ADVICE will be helpfull.. We need Suggestions

can we see anything near petrified forest is is everything closed down

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

MV to CdC just is a 2 hours drive (via IR59). You can spend rest of the day at CdC. Either take a tour or drive south rim to Spider Rock and make a hike to White House on the way. I'd stay at Chinle for that night. Next morning you can drive to Hubbell Trading Post and take 264 west to 87 south. App 10 miles before Winslow is a parkinglot and picnic area with great views on Painted Desert. Just before Winslow is Homolovi ruins SP and in Winslow you'll find La Posada, not only an hotel but also a historic place with great exhibits. Standing on the Corner for Eagles fans in Winslow also. On the way to Sedona you'll find Meteor Crater.

Tet

9. Re: Canyon de Chelly tour in Octrober

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2014