We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Does anyone have any opinions re: which tour company to take a Canyon de Chelly tour with? I'm looking for the least commercial, best native experience I can find.

Thanks!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
453 reviews
1. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

We took a private Jeep Tours with Leon Skyhorse. I can't locate his phone number but he operates out of the Holiday Inn. Three years ago it was $125 and $30/hr if you wanted more time. You could call the Holiday Inn in Chinle and get info from them. We stayed at the Thunderbird and they offered tours also. If I remember correctly, most of those tours were jeep caravans. They would fit as many as possible into a jeep and then start on the next and so on. There are also the very large truck like vehicles which I believe are called unimogs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Hi

Look at: www.sidecanyon.com/features/cdctours.htm

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
453 reviews
3. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

yes, that it him. Thanks for the site. I'm going to bookmark it. We thought he was very good.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Thank you so much! I was weighing the private tour vs. unimog tour. your help definitely pushed me over to the private tour side.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Enjoy CdC!!

Middletown, CT
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
6. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

We took a jeep tour with Leon Skyhorse Thomas last week. They leave from the Holiday Inn in Chinle parking lot. Go to http://canyondechellytours.com/ for his full information. If the link is broken, just google his name.

oakland ca
1 post
7. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Hey I just took a to ur through the canyon with a tour company I booked it from the best western.... It was freakin awsome when you call the best western ask 4 the guy that works there i think his name is jeff or george or something he arranged everything for me.... My guide's name was dave he was awesome

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Glad you brought CdC on the forum again. Not many reviews last month".... Don't know why.

Tet

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
9. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Antelope House Tours (www.canyondechelly.net) is terrific. Owner/guide Adam Teller grew up in the canyon and has a degree in cultural anthropology, so he's uniquely qualified to introduce Navajo culture to outsiders. Adam is a prize-winning storyteller who kept our grandchildren enthralled with stories from his grandmother, who still lives in the canyon.

We looked at the big "shake & bake" trucks of other tour operators and they look like a BIG mistake -- basically flatbed trucks with

greenhouse roofs. Our tour was in a souped-up SUV, customized to handle the rough canyon conditions -- comfortable and as smooth as any trip through the canyon could ever be.

A final highlight: Navajo tacos catered by Adam's cousin Tanya, served to his clients at the Antelope House ruins.

J24
Northern California
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Canyon de Chelly Jeep Tours

Here is another thumbs up for Antelope House Tours in Canyon de Chelly. We spent the bulk of the day with Adam Teller and his dad, Ben. Adam and Ben's stories really bring the canyon and its amazing ruins, rock art and geology to life.

We rode in their 4x4 Chevy Suburban. As you start through the canyon it quickly becomes clear why you want a guide and need a 4x4!

Ben also led us on a great hike up the "Bear Trail" which gave us a unique perspective of the canyon and the ranches and farms below. Our kids are 7 and 9 and had no trouble with the terrain.

Ben and his sister still have houses right next to Antelope House ruins. Ben took us there to see his place. His grandkids were out on spring break so they had a stand setup selling Navajo Fry Bread, softdrinks as well as some of their hand made jewlery and carvings. Very cool experience.