We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for shuttle launch

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for shuttle launch

Well I am gonna come from Texas to give it another try next month as we missed the July one with 3 postponments while sitting at Spaceview park.(It went up as we were fighting Houston traffic going home). Anyway, we are not doing Orlando at all, just going to Titusville. Have looked at the hotels and for my needs the Super 8 looks like it will do and priced ok. Anyone on here have first hand knowledge? I looked at reveiws and 3 bad ones were all days apart from single poster so I really don't count them.Tickets went on sale this morning and I got them. Anyway anyone with info please let me know. And yes I am aware it may not go up, etc, so just need the hotel info. It's one of my last chances to see it so have to take chances of driving there. Thanks. Oh and Hampton inn and Fairfield are booked already or I would have booked them

New York
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

I have stayed in the Super 8 and the Best Western (on FL-50). The Best Western was much better. See the "My Titusville Experiences" blog for a good, free launch viewing location.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Hi John,

Is there more info on the Super 8 that you can provide? Looks like availability in most hotels in the area is scarce (apart from Super 8)...

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Hi Travelpat, Hope you dont mind but I was the original poster and got to see it take off last week so I will give you my input. I am still hoping to do a TR on the whole wonderful experience, but got home with sinus and bronchitis, which I seem to get when staying in hotels so am still working on it. We ended up staying at the Holiday inn express in Cocoa(not cocoaBeach). It is right off of 95, and when going to KSC, you just go like 12 miles and then take the 407 straight to whatever the other road is that goes straight to KSC. You miss all the traffic coming in from Orlando. SO while this was not our oringinal hotel that we wanted, After doing it it seems like it was the best. So much in fact that I came home and booked it already for the Shuttle launch in July. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. like I said we liked this place so much that its already booked for July.ndw

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

One other thing, since it was not in titusville, we got it for 139 and 169 a night, but that was because we needed a suite. In july I already booked 2 suites and got them for 93 a night, (with aarp)which belongs to hubby.I think the going price was normal 109, which still is great price,a nd this was yesterday that I booked them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Thanks ndw... the launch is actually now delayed, so there's no urgency to be close to KSC. We're still going, however, we'll stay at Cocoa Beach so we can spend half a day at the beach, and half a day at KSC.

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Did not know it was delayed. Its disappointing.

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Wow, just looked. They delayed it by quite a bit, didn't they? KSC was still a great time for me. Had never been.

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

One more thing that I learned on a space forum that I found. If they have moved the shuttle to the launch pad when you are there, you can go to a beach called Playalinda. Its appproximatly a couple miles, but you can see the shuttle sitting on the launch ppad from there. They close this beach 3 days before every launch for security, but it may be worth it to see how close you could get.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Thanks for the info ndw. Hopefully the shuttle will be up on the launch pads when I'm there at least!

New York
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for shuttle launch

Hi Travelpat and NDW,

I was in Titusville for the Feb 8 Endeavor launch. It was a day late, but that's not bad.

Staying in a town south of Titusville would be a good alternative. The three towns south of Titusville (along I-95) are Port St. John, Cocoa and Rockledge. Cocoa Beach is a different town that is out on the barrier Island. North of Titusville is rural and I know of no chain hotels in that area. West of Titusville is 20 miles of swamp.

You mentioned that the Mar 18 launch is delayed to Apr 5.

You can see the two shuttle launch pads from Playalinda (beach), but the closer one is 39B, and no more shuttle launches are scheduled from that pad. 39A is another mile or so away. You can see it, but not as clearly. I wish I could post a picture of what you see from the road to Playalinda. I have a nice picture of both the Ares rocket on 39B and a shuttle on 39A. Since the Constellation/Ares program is now cancelled, I guess I got to see the one and only Ares (test) launch this past October.

If you are in town for a shuttle launch, the radio station that broadcasts the launch is 1060 AM. I have information about a good place to watch launches in the "My Titusville Experiences" posting I wrote a while ago.

The grass field was roped off to cars Feb 8, for some strange reason. Maybe they expect big crowds for the remaining launches. The launch was at 4:14 AM and only a hundred or so people were there. A corner of the JC Penney parking lot was an RV village for a few days. That morning I got down there about 20 min before the launch. We sat in the car with the heater running and listened to 1060AM for a while. Then, we walked out onto the field and found a place where we could easily see the launch pad. I was wearing a Walkman and continued to listen to the radio. I guess I was talking loudly with the headset on, because people began gathering around me. I announced the "2 minutes to launch," etc. and the countdown, so everyone was looking in the right direction when the rockets ignited. It was a wonderful sight.

If you are in Titusville before a launch, you can take the Kennedy Space Center bus tour from "Spaceport USA." You will get a close view of the two launch pads, and a good narration. If you want to see the launch pads from Playalinda, bring binoculars and climb up the stairs of the first or second parking area dune crossover and you can see the launch pads. The Playalinda admission is $3 per person for the day. It might be $5 for a car load. I don't really know because I buy an annual pass.

I hope you enjoy your visit.