We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area & Hotel Recommendations

Honolulu
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Area & Hotel Recommendations

I am planning a trip to San Diego in late February with my wife and 4 year old daughter. This will be our first trip to San Diego and we really need some help with what area and hotel to stay.

We'll be there for 4 nights and plan to see Sea World, the zoo, Legoland, and I know my wife plans to do some heavy shopping. We are not looking for anything extravagant...just nice, clean and safe. Something in the $100-$200/night range.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

There are many choices in that price range at that time of year. You will need a rental car also to get easily around to all you r destinations.

the zoo is near downtown SanDiego,Seaworld is about 20min north of downtown,and Legoland is about 45 min north of downtown in the town of Carlsbad.

I f you do not want to rent a car and you will rely on public transportation then you need to stay either in downtown,Little Italy(just north of downtown) or Oldtown(near Old Town Statepark )which is just north of Little Italy.

With or without a car you can stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Oldtown,La Quinta in Old town, BestWesternBayside Inn which is kind of between downtown and Litlle italy facing the bay. (it has a free shuttle from the airport.

I fyou have a car you could also stay a littl efurther norhthat the Radisson La jolla which i sNOT at th ebeach but is about 8min from the beach and is about 20min norht of downtown right off the freeway and very convenient for driving BUT not without a car.

YOu could also try the Balboa Park Inn which is in a residential neighborhood across from the park where the zoo is located. I tis aB&B with family suites.

There are other possibilities but perhaps you could tell us if you will hav e car an dwhich type of hotel you prefer,B&B,suites, motel, hotel etc.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Thanks for the great information. We will definately have a rental car and we were thinking about staying at a suite or hotel type of establishment. The bigger the better for my little one to run around in.

Thanks again for the help.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

I looked around for you but without exact dates I can't be absolutely positive of availablility. Anyway, the Balboa Park Inn has suites in you r price range and even though it is not a hotel but a B&b type place you might consider it because it is across the street from BalboaPark ,(which will be great for you rchild)and it will be free to park there on the street.

TheBestWestern hacienda Suites inOldtown also has suites in your price range. The Courtyard by Marriott has rooms in you r price range as does the Radisson BUT not suites.

I fI were you I would make a res(but don't pay fo rit just use a credit card to guarantee it) and then see if any "deals" come up later on for highrise hotels. Actaully these low rise places might end up being better and easier for you to take the kiddie outside. Let me know what you think.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Have just found out that th eCatamaran Hotel(across from theocean) has a studio room(small suite with Kithchen )for just under$200 . I tis a really nice place and is not usually under$200.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Thanks a bunch for all your assistance. The Catamaran Hotel sounds perfect!

Mahalo.

England
Level Contributor
561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Riffsmom,

As you may remember we are booked to stay at Humphreys next May for 6 nights. I have been reading all the recent postings and am wondering if we need to change where we are staying. Humphreys looks wonderful with a lovely walk along the bay, we enjoy walking a lot, but seems a bit remote for other things. Obviously we are planning on visiting the zoo and the park so would prefer easy access to these attractions. The main worry is being somewhat secluded at night, we like to drink and visit bars and restaurants that are busy with a bit of atmosphere. We would not fancy going out for a quiet drink in a half-empty bar or restaurant. What would you suggest in terms of a hotel, it seems to me the downtown area looks more to our taste. If we decided to stay at Humphreys and found it too quiet, how far to the downtown action? In terms of budget we are paying an average of $200 per night.

Thanks again,

Jim

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Jim - Although Humphreys is a beautiful area, you are correct, it is a bit secluded. It would be a taxi ride, bus ride or long walk (about 5 miles) if you wanted to get to the downtown area. If you want to be more centrally located, then any of the downtown areas, which includes Little Italy and Gaslamp District would be more to your liking. Those areas are right along the bay, and all walking distance from each other, and well-serviced by buses and the light-rail trolley. From downtown you can walk to the zoo/Balboa Park (I've done it several times - about 3 miles) or a quick trip on Bus #7. There's also lots of shops, restaurants and bars in that area, so you would be close to everything.

There are many hotels, including the Omni in the Gaslamp which is currently on sale - others in that area are Horton Grand and closeby is my favorite in all of downtown, the Marriott Marina. Others - located in Little Italy - www.littleitalysd.com are Best Western Bayside, Holiday Inn on the Bay (right across the street from the bay - there are others with similar names - this one is at 1355 Pacific Highway) and the Porto Visto (brand new remodel) and the budget La Pensione. Little Italy Inn is also nice.

Also checkout www.thebigbay.com and www.gaslamp.org for more about the areas.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Jim I think you told me that you would have a rental car right? Humphreys is not more than 15min by car from the zoo and downtown.

Their own bar is pretty lively and on Shelter Island(where Humphreys is located ) there are other restaurants as well.

If you did NOT have a car I would say that you should consider a change BUT with a car I don't think it is a problem. O f course if you want to be in a more crowded highrise setting in the gaslamp that is up to you. Either way I think you will have fun.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

JIm, I reread my post and I am sorry if it sounded a bit curt. I fyou want to be able to walk to "pub like"bars than you need to be in the gaslamp or little Italy as Chissisi suggested. If you go to www.travelzoo.com and click on California lodging you will find a deal(scroll down the page to see it)at the Omni SanDiego for $99. I fit si good for you r dates I would grab it although they will charge extra for you r car.

England
Level Contributor
561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Area & Hotel Recommendations

Thanks guys, excellent advice just as I hoped and expected. I'll look at the hotels mentioned then give my wife the final choice of whether to switch. She usually gets it right.

Thanks again,

Jim