We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
417 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

Hi

We're going to be staying at the Fairfield Inn Old Town and I'm just wondering if the trolley system stops frequently at theOld Town Transit Centre stop which I presume is the closest trolley stop nearest to our hotel.

I've checked out the Amtrak website and found that the Amtrak does not stop frequently at Old Town (if at all) , however as we want to mainly go downtown district or to Fashion Valley Mall, we will be using the trolley system over Amtrak.

We're happy we our booking at the Fairfield Inn Old Town as they offer a free shuttle to most tourist attractions, so we're not wanting to swap accomm to downtown area.

Can anybody advise - does the trolley heading into downtown area always stop at Old Town and what trolley stop would we get off at to be at the 'centre' of say the Gaslamp district.

I've checked out the Trolley system map and see that Old Town is on the 'blue' trolley line but I see that the Gaslamp district stop is on the yellow trolley line. Therefore do we need to change somewhere and if so would it then be too much hassle and would we be better off for the few times that we may go to Gaslamp district to catch a taxi. ???

Thanks in advance

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

The San Diego Trolley will help you a great deal. Don't be concerned at all.

The Blue Line runs south from Old Town stopping at Washington Street, Palm (nearest to Airport), Civic Center (Little italy, Embaracadero), Santa Fe Station (main Amtrak station), makes a u-turn onto Kettner and then turns to the east along C Street. The first stop is One America Plaza. Two stops later you can get out off at Fifth Avenue and you are at the edge of the Gaslamp.

Turn right (compared to direction of travel of your trolley) and head down 5th Avenue into the Gaslamp (technically starts one block south at Broadway. However, it is bleeding across Broadway. In fact, the House of Blues is right near this trolley stop. If you fancy Sunday Brunch with American gospel music, they have a fun Gospel Brunch on Sundays.

The change to the Yellow line is not mandatory. However, it would take you to the south end of the Gaslamp at 5th Avenue. You would get off the Blue Line at America Plaza, cross the tracks and wait for the next Yellow train headed in the OPPOSITE direction. Blue and Yellow Lines share the same tracks through downtown between America Plaza and the Imperial Transit Center.

You can catch the Green line in Old Town at the same station. After one stop you will be at the Fashion Valley Mall (shopping, some restaurants, movies). The next stop is Hazard Center (also a shopping mall, restaurants, movies). The next stop is Mission Valley Center (yes, you guessed it, a shopping mall -- not my favorite) before moving on to the Stadium (Chargers, American fooball) and San Diego State University.

I hope this helps.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,134 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

kazda, Are you sure you are staying at a Fairfield inn?I was surprised when I read you rpost and I cannot find a Fairfield inn in Old town,SanDiego. Perhaps it has changed to a La Quinta or a Courtyard by Marriott?Please give me the address of your hotel.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

Just to avoid confusion, it's the Orange Line. There is no Yellow line.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
417 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

riffsmon, Yes my mistake, it is the Courtyard (Marriott) San Diego Old Town that we're staying at. I was getting mixed up with our Anahaim hotel's name, being the Fairfield Inn Anaheim.

Tootallsd, thanks heaps for your reply. I've printed it off to take with us, as it is good to know just what is around the trolley stops.

Regards

5. Re: Old Town to Gaslamp district via Trolley ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 18, 2009