We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay Christmas Day?

Woodstock, Georgia
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay Christmas Day?

Hi guys - You guys are very helpful to the other posts I've read, maybe you can help me.

My wife, daughter and myself are flying in to San Diego on Christmas Day. We are going to Sea World the next day, staying in San Diego that night, and then driving up the coast to San Francisco.

I need recommendations on where to stay the first 2 nights hile in San Diego. We want to be at a Hotel near the water that is in walking distance of marinas, restaurants etc. I don't mind if we need to drive to get to Sea World. Any suggestions?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

There are two very good choices for you depending on what type of atmosphere you desire. It depends on your price range, and if you want more of a "city" feel or a "beach" feel

The downtown area consisting of Little Italy, downtown (proper) and the Gaslamp District is a great area to stay - within easy walking distance of San Diego Bay, and many shops and restaurants, it's a safe and centrally located area. From there, it would be about 15 minutes (8 miles or so) - an easy drive - to SeaWorld. see www.thebigbay.com

Another option is near one of our lovely beaches - perhaps Coronado, Pacific Beach, or La Jolla. Although these areas are not quite as convenient to as many restaurants, they are each very nice areas to stay. My favorite is Coronado, as it is a quiet area with many restaurants and shops within easy walking distance, as well as a lovely beach. Any of these beach areas would also be convenient to Sea World.

Perhaps if you indicate which area would be your preference, and a price range, we can be of further help.

Woodstock, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

Our preference would be to stay near a waterfront, but not necessarily a beach. The bay would be nice if there are Marinas that have restaurants and activity. The option of taking a dinner cruise would also be good.

The cost of the hotel is not as important as location, I'm expecting something between $100 & $200 per night. If we are on a roadtrip, we prefer Courtyard Express & Hampton Inns. They are usually clean and professionally run.

How busy is it there during Christmas? Should we expect Sea World to be busy on the day after Christmas?

RD

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,841 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

In SanDiego part o f the bay is downtown so althought there are not 'marinas" there are lots of restaurants and activity. However, since downtown is more expensive and you will have a car I suggest staying on Shelter Island which has bay views,resturants,marinas and probably free parking. Winter is low season here but Xmas vacation gets a little busy. Some places may be booked by now. There is HumphreysHalf Moon Inn and the Best Western island Palms and the Kona Kai. I think out of these 3 Humphreys is the nicest.

Woodstock, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

Thanks, I just looked at Humphrey's on the web and it looks perfect.

Good reviews too.

RD

Woodstock, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

Also, we're headed to San Francisco when we leave with plans to stop in Cambria & Monterey on the way. Any information on driving up the coast would be appreciated.

RD

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

The Courtyard Downtown is quite nice and within walking distance of the marina and restaurants. It is a converted bank building with interesting old features, so quite different from most Courtyards.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,841 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

The only hard part of your drive north is getting through the LA traffic. Even if there are no accidents it can be slow in the morning due to volume and sometimes construction. My husband and I are "morning"people so we would leave at perhaps 6AM but you being on vacation might have difficulty rounding up "the troops" at that early an hour.just be prepared for slowness. Luckily you will be able to use the car pool lanes since you have more than 1person in the car.

I suppose you already have driving directions but if not:

You take I-5north and there will be a point near Irvine where I-405 goes

off it along the coast an d5goes straight north inland. You WANT405!!Take this alll the way through LA and over the hill into the SanFernando Valley where you will pick up101. 101 will take you out to the coast and then north along it into SantaBArbara. There is a lovely pier if you 'd like to stop here an dof course there is a Missionif that is on you rto dolist.If not stayon 101as it goes along the coast and then through a lovely hilly pass to SanLuis Obispo where you can pick up rte 1 to CAmbria. I fyou try to do rte 1 the whole way from LA it will take days!! I don't know if you already hav e ahotel for Cambria or not. We lov eit there andoften go in the summer. Stay anywhere onMoonstoneDrive and youwill be happy.

Woodstock, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

I'm hoping the traffic through LA will be lighter because of the Holiday week. I know it will be here in Atlanta. Either way we'll leave early.

We're going to stick to the Coast as much as time will allow. Our flight back is on New Years Eve out of San Francisco.

9. Re: Where to Stay Christmas Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 25, 2009