We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel in San Diego???

Boca Raton
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel in San Diego???

Hello everyone! We are going to San Diego in January for a very short trip on our way up the coast and eventually to Vegas. Since I have never been to CA, I would love some input from y'all! Are there any new hotels out there that are great, or any hotel that someone who will only be there one night must stay at? I am not really particular about the area, I would like to stay by the ocean or right in Downtown.....any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
387 reviews
from $18.00*
$23.00
San Diego Zoo
160 reviews
from $54.00*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
99 reviews
from $89.82*
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best hotel in San Diego???

Being a bit biased (I live here), I'd say The Valencia or the Grande Colonial in La Jolla. They are in the "village" and a hop and a skip from the La Jolla Cove and the Pacific Ocean. They are old by San Diego standards, and have a lovely atmosphere. They are not your large and sterile Hilton-style hotels, but are elegant, and give you that special feeling that you're on vacation. Although La Jolla is part of San Diego, it has a different feel than Downtown.

Then there is the old and grand Del Coronado Hotel, which is on Coronado Island. A beautiful place on the ocean with a bit of history. There is a shuttle that takes tourists to downtown San Diego.

Level Contributor
36,939 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best hotel in San Diego???

libbsjm, have you booked a place yet? I'll put in my opinon here for the Hotel Del Coronado. We stayed 3 nights and loved everything about our stay. The hotel itself is just amazing with so much history and charm. Go to the Museum Store and look around there for more info on the history. Our room was in the Victorian section, a nice size room with really comfy bed and view of the indoor courtyard. 1500 Ocean and the Sheerwater are both great places to eat at The Del. Coronado itself is such a cool, resort type place. We watched "Some Like Hot" last night with Marilyn Monroe,it was filmed at The Del.

La Jolla is also very nice, the Hotel Valencia looked very pretty with an older type of charm to it, also. in a great location, right on Prospect with the great shopping and walking distance to the gorgeous cove area. Happy New Year! :)

23. Re: Best hotel in San Diego???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 21, 2009