We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Buffet

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Buffet

Two adults (40's) will be staying DT SD week of Thanksgiving. Need suggestions for an outstanding Thanksgiving buffet - will have car so driving outside of SD is no problem; price is not an issue. Desire high quality and good variety of food (traditional or gourmet) - a view of the ocean or the city would be a bonus as well. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Interestingly, most of our finer restaurants do not do buffets for Thanksgiving but instead have special menus, sometimes prix fixe dinners.

The Hotel Del Coronado ,an historic ocean front hotel across the bay from downtown SanDiego, has offered a buffet in past years.

It is possible that the 4 SeasonsAviara hotel located in the suburb of Carlsbad, about 40min north of downtown,on a cliff overlooking the ocean, would have one as well.

I fyou would consider something other than a buffet let us know.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

I met friends at the Westgate Hotel downtown a couple years ago, and it was quite good. There are several nice restaurants that serve Thanksgiving dinner, but the Westgate is the only buffet I've personally tried.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Try emailing Jim at www.sandiegosundaybrunchmaster.com.

Brunch is his passion and if there is a Thanksgiving brunch he'd probably know about it!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Thanks so much for the input - yes, we would consider something other than buffet if it comes highly recommended. Is there perhaps a brunch/dinner cruise being offered on Thanksgiving?

-Dusker

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Here is a description of the Hornblower's buffet,Thanksgiving cruise.

http://www.sandiego.org/event/Visitors/879

I cannot vouch for the quality of the food.

Dana Point
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

I would definitely recommend the Hotel Del Coronado Thanksgiving brunch which is in the ballroom overlooking the ocean. It is a very special treat, with live music, and an incredible spread. This has been a family tradition for years. It is expensive, $75 per person this year, but it absolutely cannot be beat for food and atmosphere. Just call 1-800-hoteldel. I just made our reservations!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Last year, Island Prime had 4 dinners (price fixe) for Thanksgiving. Between 4 of us, we sampled the entire menu and it was fantastic. Couple with the beautiful view, it made for a perfect day.

I would also check the remodeled US Grant to see what they are doing. I have high expectations for the hotel now that it is open.

I'm not a big fan of the Hotel Del's brunch. To me the room feels very crowded, very tight seating, hard to get back and forth to the food stations and due to its sheer size, some people will have a long walk. Not my favorite.

Coronado, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Good food with fabulous views:

Elario's on La Jolla Shores Drive - on 11th floor of the Hotel La Jolla

Marine Room, La Jolla

George's at the Cove, La Jolla

Bertrand's at Mr. A's, overlooking San Diego and the bay

The Prado at Balboa Park

Lowe's Coronado Bay

All offer much better food than the Hotel Del (sorry, just my opinion). If you do decide to go to the Del, be sure and make reservations before the sun goes down or your 'ocean view' turns into blackness out the window.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,562 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

My husband and I have been deserted by our kids this year so we are also looking fo r agood place to go for Thanksgiving. We have never been here in town needing a restaurant. I am going to look at all the possibilities and then we'll see. The Reader has not come out with its Thanksgiving list yet.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving Buffet

Hey Mom,

Check the Thursday Night & Day section in the Tribune and Reader the Thursday before Thanksgiving…every place will be listed then. I do like Chissis’ idea, you can’t go wrong with the Westgate!