We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Can someone offer some advice about tipping ie. who to tip and how much. We come from Norway, a country where tipping is practically non-existent but we understand it is a large part of the culture in the US. I visited Miami about 12 years ago and got into a bit of a pickle with all the tipping, we had not budgeted for it and we found it very difficult to know if we were under-tipping.

I guess the tipping situation depends on where you are staying and what services you use. We are staying at very budget places and 4 star accomodation so any advice is very welcome.

In a 4 star accomodation who is there to tip and how much is normal and how often (i.e everytime a doorperson opens the door for you) Sorry if this question sounds stupid.

Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Nothing stupid about this question, I earned an angry face from a taxi driver last year in San Francisco when I only gave him 10% tip, not regarding that he expected an extra dollar for each piece of luggage...

But anyway, I will never see him again ;)

My experience is that you have to give a tip almost everywhere, as the tip is a major part of every service personnel (especially hotel, restaurant, taxi, valet parking occassions) and that you spend most of your holiday budget on tips.

This is only compensated by the strong Euro, which makes very much things relatively cheap.

E. g. in a 4 star hotel I gave the luggage clerk 1$ per big piece, once when he delivered the luggage to my room and once when we left the luggage under his attention as we left. He seemed satisfied with that.

In a restaurant you normally give 10-20% of the invoice, depending on how satisfied you are and how exclusive the location is.

Taxi driver: 10% + luggage ;)

These are only my experiences, I may be corrected by others.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

you might want to look at this page: www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageTipsUS.html

I generally, as a rule, only tip in restuarants, Valets, Taxi Cabs, and occasionally, hotel staff. Im a firm believer that tipping is our way of telling others what we think of their service. If the service is bad, I specifically tip poorly, but if the service is outstanding, say in a restaurant, I tip 20-25%.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

The first rule about tipping is that it is NOT required. It is something that is freely offered in return for good service. If you feel the service you were given was poor, you are not obligated to tip.

I never tip for services which are totally unecessary. I wouldn't tip a doorman for opening a door, I would if he went to some trouble to get a cab for me. (In New York a hotel doorman went to the cross street at the end of the block and stood in the middle of traffic to hail a cab for me. I didn't mind tipping him.) I never tip for counter service because standing in line for 10 mins to get a coffee is not service.

The accepted tip (for GOOD service) in a restaurant is 15%. More only if you feel the service was exceptional. I have tipped 0-5% in restaurants when their service was terrible. I don't care if the give me angry looks when I leave. Terrible service is terrible service.

Repeat after me:

TIPPING IS NOT REQUIRED!

A TIP IS FREELY OFFERED AND SHOULD NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY EXPECTED!

A PERSON PRVIDING A SERVICE SHOULD BE HAPPY WITH WHATEVER TIP HE/SHE RECEIVES!

I put myself through college working in service industry jobs so I have been on both sides of the fence. Tips were very important to me, but my bosses taught me that a tip was earned. I am sorry that these days so many workers feel a tip is an entitlement.

San Diego
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

15-20% at restaurants but if the service is really bad I would even tip around 10%

Hotels - I tip the guy who brings the luggage to your room a couple dollars and sometimes leave 5 bucks or so for housekeeping. But I do think that one is totally optional. If I come in contact with the cleaner and they are a great person I'm more apt to tip. Also, if the front door man hails you a cab maybe throw him a dollar. If your car is valeted you should tip that person a couple bucks when they bring you your car.

Cabs - I guess around 20%. I would probably give a taxi driver 2 dollars on a 10 dollar fare but 3 dollars on a 20 dollar fare.

midwest
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

I'm 100% behind Diegodreamer on this one!!!! A tip is something to be EARNED & NOT EXPECTED!!! I find is sad that so many customers don't feel this way, along with service employees! We just include our tip on our credit card whenever possible.

W Virginia
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

None of you tip the Housekeeper who cleans your dirty toilet seat, picks your soaking wet towels off the floor, makes your bed after changing your smelly sheets, wipes out your shower scum and clean your toothpaste and spit off the bathroom counter?

TERRIBLE

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Thank you for all your posts!

They were all very helpful. It was the amount that is most helpful. It is quite a high percentage (up to 20-25 % for good service) but upholding customs is important to me. I totally agree bad service shouldn't get a good tip. ( I thought 10% was a lot if you were unsatisfied.)

In Britain I am used to tipping chambermaids, taxi drivers and in restraurants if the service is good.

It may be different in the US but in England the housekeepers just boss the chambermaids about and take their tips. It is the chambermaids who do all the "dirty" work. So it is important to give them tips personally.

Again thanks .. we are really looking forward to our trip!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

At restaurants, I believe the typical tip is 15% when the service is good, and 20% when the service was very good. In a hotel I leave a couple of bucks a night and my change and leave it on the table when I leave. Some hotels provide an envelope where you may consider leaving a couple of bucks each night for whichever maid may be servicing the room.

I think you have to get really terrible service to leave nothing, and 25% is ok but very generous and probably not necessary to go that high.

W Virginia
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

It may be different in the US but in England the housekeepers just boss the chambermaids about and take their tips. It is the chambermaids who do all the "dirty" work. So it is important to give them tips personally.

In the US we dont call them "chambermaids" and we do tip them directly. Leave it on your pillow .

Tucson
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

I'm with Diegodreamer...Tips should not be expected nor should you fee obligated to leave them.

I don't understand why some services need to be tipped.

For example the people that come in to clean rooms, since it was mentioned....that is the job they have, they applied for it, they get paid for it. Flame me if you must but that's how I feel.