We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

Caldwell, Idaho
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

Hi there! My husband and I will be in San Diego July 31 - Aug 5. We'll have the first 3 or 4 days free to explore before my husband's conference begins on the 5th. We are staying near Petco Stadium. First question - is that a good base area for our visit? We have another possible lodging location in Bankers Hill. Which area would best? We are not planning on renting a car, we'll have to hope we can figure out public transportation. This should be interesting...we're from an area where we never ever use it.

We really have no specific plans as of now other than we want to go to the Zoo, perhaps a couple of museums and some disc golf. So probably at least a full day in Balboa Park I'd imagine. I also want to visit the beach, not sure if we should visit Mission or Coronado.

Any suggestions on MUST see or do activities for our first time would be greatly appreciated!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

Hi Idaho! Welcome to San Diego!

Without a car it is best to stay in Downtown San Diego where PetCo is. It's easy to get to Balboa Park and the Zoo from there via the #7 bus

https://goo.gl/maps/UZCKC

Or a quick taxi ride.

From Downtown you can take the #901 Bus to Coronado and it will take you directly to the beach / village.

http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/Route.aspx?r=901

Or, take the 15 min Ferry from behind the Convention Center (closest to PetCo) or from the Broadway Pier at the other side of downtown. It stops at the Ferry Landing

http://www.flagshipsd.com/coronado-ferry

http://www.coronadoferrylandingshops.com/

From the Ferry Landing there is a free summer shuttle that takes you to the beach / village

coronadovisitorcenter.com/directions/…

If you decide you want to go Mission Beach / Pacific Beach a bus will take you about an hour one-way. Look at the schedules for the #8, #9 & #30 and see

http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/BusRoutes.aspx

The Green Line Trolley will take you to Little Italy (lots of great restaurants) and Old Town

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

I live next door to Banker's Hill (on the Downtown side - south) and it will just be easier to get around if you stay centrally in Downtown. You will also be walking distance to the water which is nice. It's nice to stroll along the Bay / Marina or sit in one of the restaurants with a drink.

Caldwell, Idaho
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

That is extremely helpful elizzie4000! I was second guessing where we are staying. The links will be great for my research too!

If you have any restaurant or bar recommendations in downtown area, that would be great too.

Thanks again!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

Banker's Hill is a very pretty area, with lots of trees.

Get to the zoo when it opens at 9, because the animals are more active in the mornings. In the afternoons, especially on warm summer days, they may be sedentary or even asleep.

Try Cafe 21 on 5th Avenue downtown.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,426 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

Near Petco Park is the more practical location for walking to attractions and a multitude of restaurants and availability of public transportation.

Even if you don't rent a car the whole time, you should rent a car for a day or maybe for a day twice, because getting to a place like La Jolla (a very northern neighborhood of the city of San Diego) or Torrey Pines is very time consuming on public transportation.

As to bars and restaurants, if you stay near Petco you are on the edge of two Downtown neighborhoods, the Gaslamp and East Village, with far too many bars and restaurants to name, there are easily over 100 in a very small area.

www.gaslamplocal.com/index.php?a=getp&pid=268

If you can narrow down on specifics you like, people can give more specific recommendations.

Caldwell, Idaho
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

I'm a bit of a foodie, my husband doesn't care as much - so I'd say we're interested in low key places with great food, but not too 'fancy'. We're beer drinkers so I was looking up some of the brew pubs in the area. Maybe a place to get some great seafood/sushi since we should take advantage of being on the coast. I'd also like a place we could go out and hear some good music at night. Not so much a dance club, somewhere it's more about the music. We love Mexican & Chinese, and I'd imagine we could get great Italian in Little Italy.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

Just to be clear about one item: While public transportation (or cabs) would be easy to the central mesa of Balboa Park, the disc golf area isn't as easy. The park is nearly 1,200 acres.

The disc golf is located at Morley Field, which would be a walk down Upas near the Zoo to the bottom of Florida Canyon, and up the other side on Morley Field Dr. It's a little over a mile (walking) with some pretty steep hills.

Israel
Level Contributor
136 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

does anyone have an idea of taxi costs say from petco area to sea world, petco to zoo, petco to le jolla?

thx

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

lannie62, It would be best if you started your own thread with your question as it is a different one than what this original poster is asking. Just click on Ask a Question at the top of this page and start writing.

You can use Google to find bus routes so that you don't have to take taxis everywhere. Put in your start location and then use the get directions function and click on the bus.

From Petco to the zoo is an easy bus ride after a short walk.

Petco to Sea World is a combo of our lightrail+ bus.

For La Jolla I'd take the tourguidetim tour which leaves from the downtown train station.

Israel
Level Contributor
136 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time San Diego - Transportation & Itinerary Questions

thxm have opened a new link

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,046 posts