We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Trip Report

Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Trip Report

We just spent 6 days and 5 nights in San Diego. The part I was looking forward to most with this trip was watching the ocean waves crash into the cliffs. So if you like that kind of thing, La Jolla and Sunset Cliffs Natural Park are excellent places to visit.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Liberty Station, which is centrally located near the airport and offers free breakfast every day and free dinner Mon-Thurs. A great deal. We also thought about staying part of the time at the Grand Colonial in La Jolla but ended up staying the whole 5 nights at the HS instead. When we visited La Jolla we saw the GC and it looked very nice and is within walking distance to the cliffs, Scripps Park, La Jolla Cove, and Seal Rock. Looks like it would be a good place to stay if you want to be in that area.

La Jolla was my favorite for most beautiful on the trip. In addition to the cliffs and seals in the La Jolla Cove area there is a beach (La Jolla Shores) a little further north that is good for families. You can see the gliders at Torrey Pines from the beach at La Jolla Shores. We arrived in La Jolla around 9am and found parking along Prospect Street since parking along Coast Blvd. was already filling up. Explored Seal Rock, Ellen Browning Scripps Park, La Jolla Cove, and did the Sunny Jim cave tour. The cave tour wasn’t much, just a lot of steps that ended in a cave. Watching the seals and enjoying the view was fun. We had lunch at Burger Lounge, which was good, then headed to the beach at La Jolla Shores.

Sunset Cliffs was good for watching the sunset (of course) and for light hiking.

Coronado Island has a wonderful beach and is a cute town. The La Avenida in Coronado was a lodging option for us when we were planning the trip. When we were there it looked like a good location for visiting the beach and exploring the town. We arrived around 9:30am and found parking on Ocean Blvd. near the lifeguard station. We had a tasty lunch at Delux Dogs.

I enjoyed the San Diego Whale Watch tour. As long as you don't get seasick easily I highly recommend it. I loved being out on the water. I bought discounted tickets for it on Groupon. Check out Groupon, Living Social, and places like that for discounts.

We also visited the San Diego Zoo, which was fun. We spent several hours but still didn’t see everything because it’s so big. We walked around Balboa Park a little bit and saw the Spreckels Organ Pavillion, which was nice. Then we spent a couple of hours at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center.

The Cabrillo National Monument is nice and good for light hiking and we saw the Old Point Loma Lighthouse during the visit.

We wanted to go hiking at Torrey Pines State Reserve and visit the Birch Aquarium at Scripps but ran out of time. We also wanted to tour the USS Midway but didn’t have enough time (a good tour takes about 3 hours) when we were there. Instead we walked around the outside area, saw the “Kiss Statue” and the Bob Hope tribute before having drinks on the deck at the Fish Market during happy hour.

The Homewood Suites worked out well and we were happy with it but I think if we went again I’d want to stay either in Coronado or at the Grand Colonial in La Jolla since those were my favorite areas that we visited.

Thank you to everyone on Trip Advisor for advice and recommendations!

Edited: 12:29 pm, June 28, 2014
Sail San Diego
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Lucky Sol Sailing
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Cast Off Sailing
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Boat Tours
Adventure R.I.B. Rides
Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Speed Boats Tours, Boat Tours
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,835 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Trip Report

Thanks for writing! We are always curious about how things turn out on a trip .

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Trip Report

Thank you for the feedback!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Trip Report

Thank you for giving such a detailed and honest trip report. Homewood Suite LS is a good central location and does have the free parking. Most hotels don't have that.

So, come on back and stay in Coronado or La Jolla !! You still have places to see and visit!

Level Contributor
37,230 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Trip Report

Thanks for the report! La Jolla and Coronado are our two favorite areas of San Diego. :).

5. Re: San Diego Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 01, 2015
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question