We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

Hello!

Me and my husband will be visiting San Diego for 4 days late September - early October. We want to stay close to the beach and be able to walk to the restaurants/bars. We'll also have a car, so parking is important, too.

I've been looking at different areas and it seems that Pacific Beach or Mission Beach will suit all our needs. I've been looking both at hotels and airbnb, and the prices are about the same (our price range is up to 150$ per night). Would you have any advice on what to go for?

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,784 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

Hi LenaJC,

Welcome to the forums.

Just make sure that you don't book anything on Air BnB that doesn't have good reviews.

It is up to you if you prefer the services of a hotel or if you prefer an apartment.

I have no experience with Air BnB rentals at Pacific Beach.

Perhaps give us a link to the ones you are considering?

Which hotels have you looked at? With a car you have the freedom to stay anywhere in town and get around easily.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

Since you have a car, you can drive anywhere, anytime.

I have a suggestion in Point Loma, which is across the street from the yacht and fishing boat basin. Also, you have several nice restaurants, etc. within walking distance. However, the best part is that it is a nice, family-run motel, which is very, very moderately-priced. It is the Dolphin Motel. I stay there a couple times every year when I visit San Diego. Read the reviews on TripAdvisor, and you'll see I am not alone in praising it.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d119769-…

http://www.dolphin-motel.com/motel.html

Ask for a "harbor view" room. You'll love it!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

I have to admit that for my Mom's bday last Sept we gave her a party at the Yacht Club in Pt Loma. The only hotel available close by was the Dolphin Motel so that's where my cousin and her husband stayed. I don't know what their standards are but they didn't care for it. She mentioned that the walls were thin and they could hear the tv from the people next door. I have recommended the Motel to people on a budget. But if someone can afford $150 / ni I wouldn't recommend it, Also, the OP specifically said they want to stay at the beach and there's no beach in walking distance.

Lena - the Pacific Beach area has the beach and the bay within walking distance and lots of restaurants and the active boardwalk. What hotels have you looked at that are in your budget? Parts of Mission Beach will not have restaurants in walking distance and other parts mainly fast food places. As Riff said, if you provide links we can help you decide. Oh, and make sure if you pick a rental that has a parking spot for the car.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

At the end of September there always seems to be a glut of vacation rentals in Mission Beach. Since they stand empty, perhaps you can get a good deal. I can't vouch for any of them, but you can check out missionbeach.flipkey.com, VRBO, vacationrentals.com, homeaway.com.

I personally prefer a vacation rental over a hotel because of the kitchen facilities.

As Riff M said, make sure you check out the reviews for the rentals.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
157 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

Any lodging n Encinitas or Del Mar would be fun too.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,269 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

I would use a local rental agency over AirBnB. Here is a top question that lists lots.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k690231…

I'd look at Pacific Beach, Mission Beach and Coronado Island.

7. Re: Stay in San Diego - airbnb or hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Diego