We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting

Hello-

We will be visiting San Diego in late August for the first time.

With all the great attractions and places to go, we are in need of some assistance!

Interested in :

walking around

the zoo?

would like to check out one of the many beaches

shops - little towns

food trucks/ or other great local foodie options

not interested in :

nightclubs

fancy schamncy big name places

party lifestyle

children/families - love kids but not looking for family friendly places

We will be coming from Chicago,IL ( the lakeview/boystown area)

and will be making the Pacific Coast drive.

Thanks!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting

Hi SB773 !

Car or no car? How many days is this trip?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting

Update:

We have booked a place in the Ocean Beach area . It looks like it is the perfect area. Any recommendations on this?

Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting

There are a lot of places you can check out:

How long are you staying in San Diego?

You can stop by Belmont Park (its a small amusement park) and play some mini-golf. It is right next to the beach so you can go picnic and stroll on the beach or just rent a bike (there is a bike path there)

La Jolla Shore/La Jolla Cove is a good touristy destination. It has a lot of good food there (i.e. The Cottage for brunch -- its crowded on the weekend though). Downtown La Jolla is very walkable with plenty of shops that might peak your interest. Plus you can go kayaking or snorkeling there too

The Zoo is very nice if you like to walk around. You can also check out Balboa Park. There is a disc golf place right in Balboa Park and there are a lot of museums that you can check out.

For beaches, you can check out: Windansea, Sunset, La Jolla Beach, Coronado (I might be missing a lot of them, but those are some of the best one I've been to)

You can also go for a hike in Torrey Pines State Park

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting

Can you tell us where in Ocean Beach you booked a place? Is it a vacation rental?

One thing I like to do in OB is walk out on the pier and have some fish tacos at the little cafe at the end of the pier, appropriately named Ocean Beach Pier Cafe.

For shopping/window shopping/restaurants/cafes in small towns, I recommend the 101 stretch in Encinitas. There is also a nice beach called Moonlight Beach. You can walk for miles in both directions.

as zenmaster already mentioned, La Jolla (which, like OB is a community within San Diego) is well worth visiting. La Jolla Shores has the largest beach, but there are other ones which are interesting to visit: Black's Beach at the bottom of the cliffs by the Glider Port, WindanSea, Marine Street (virtually unknown to tourists).

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting

Again, will you have a car?

How about posting a link to the rental or give the street and cross streets? OB isn't universally loved by everyone

There are some very expensive and beautiful homes in Ocean Beach. There are also a lot of very surfer type beach houses/huts. I've been going there forever and my sister lives nearby and it doesn't faze me at all. It's very, very, surfer beach. There are old fashioned hippy style shops. In August you can very well be renting next door to people who will party at night. Some areas would be better than others.

If I know where the rental is I can give you some ideas of what's close by. With a car it's easy to get to other places in about 10 - 20 mins depending.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,360 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting

OB is an interesting place go with an open mind, its our Venice Beach. You will see some strange things, smell some funny smells...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,841 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting

"medicinal" smells Goodbeer!

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting

Ocean Beach has gorgeous, accessible beaches. Know that the community is a bit rough around the edges and most places are a bit divey. Pizza Port is a fantastic craft brewery, my favorite place in PB.

You are fairly close to Mission Hills, Hillcrest, North Park and Normal Heights which are chock full of foodie joints and pretty hip. Wont be a lot of kids around there. I love Encinitas but that will be at least a 45 minute drive for you...

9. Re: Visiting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 11, 2015