We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which part of san diego????

manchester, Uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
which part of san diego????

Hi,

My partner and I are coming to San Diego for a week in June but are having trouble deciding which part to stay.

We will be renting a car and will want to go to sea world and the zoo, try a couple of restaurants in the gaslamp quarter but also have a hotel with a nice view of the beach/ocean.

Can anyone recommend a hotel which would be a suitable base to see the main attractions of san diego but with inexpensive parking?

Any info welcomed

North San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which part of san diego????

Evans...from the term "partner" I'm guessing you lead an alt. lifestyle? The North Park area is particularly alt. friendly .

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which part of san diego????

San Diego is quite spread out, so there are a lot of choices. One possiblity is "The Dana" which is in a nice location on Mission Bay, and has plenty of free parking. It is centrally located to visit all areas of San Diego.

This hotel recently built a new addition, which is very contemporary. It also has an older section, which is fine, just not as attractive as the new. The rooms in the old section have been remolded.

Their website only shows the new rooms, not the old. I only mention this so that if you do reserve here ask which section your room is in so your are not surprised when you get here. The new section is more expensive than the old.

Also in the Mission bay area, the Catamaran and the Pacific Terrace are good choices.

Another possiblity is a hotel downtown. There is a lot of nightlife in the Gaslamp district, and several good hotels, depending on your budget. Upbeat urban atmosphere.

The Hilton San Diego Gaslamp is right in the middle of it all, and well reviewed on this site. This true of Prava as well. The Omni is brand new and very upscale. The Manchester Hyatt and the downtown Marriot would have some spectacular views.

Hope this gives you some ideas. check this website and others and if you have questions about any of these properties feel free to post them!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which part of san diego????

Oops. I just realized that all the downtown hotels charge for parking. i think the Catamaran does as well....

manchester, Uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which part of san diego????

Thank you for both of your replies.

TravelHappy thanks for the info but its just me (female) and my boyfriend :-) we will still check out the area.

Diegodreamer - we dont mind paying for the parking but i've noticed that some of the hotels are quite expensive, nearly $20 per day - is that the average rate?

When looking at the hotels you mentioned they seem to be fully booked on the dates we will be arriving (around the 24th for a week) is there a convention or event in the Gaslamp Quarter at that time?

Thanks once again :-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which part of san diego????

I don't think there is a large convention that week, but they are going on all the time. It is also the summer season, which is the busiest time in San Diego.

Also if you checking through Expedia, Travelocity or Hotels.com, they don't always show a room available, when in fact there may be. Hotels only sell a certain number of rooms through these websites, so there may still be a room if you book through the hotel's website.

I would say parking at a downtown hotel is between $15 - $25. This is actually a little less than other U.S. cities. I paid $35.00 a day in Boston last summer. I would never dream of driving a car into New York, but I understand you can pay $50.00/ day there.

San Diego
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which part of san diego????

I've never stayed here but I run by it a lot but the Inn at Sunset Cliffs looks nice (this is located in Point Loma near Ocean Beach). It's close to beaches, SeaWorld, Zoo and downtown. The Grande Colonial in La Jolla is really nice. Also, you can try and look into hotels on shelter island. Short drive to beaches, downtown, seawold and zoo.

San Diego
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which part of san diego????

Oh yeah, don't have to pay for parking at the Inn on Sunset Cliffs or at any of the hotels on Shelter Island. Not sure about the Grande Colonial in La Jolla. My guess is that you do have to pay.