We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

Hi everyone

I was hoping for a little help planning our stay in SD this summer. We will be arriving on Monday 7th July around 5pm and will be staying in La Jolla. Can anyone give some recommendations for places to eat that evening that are inexpensive? Our budget would be around $60 including tax and tip for two people. I know this is not much, but we are not into fancy food and would prefer a more 'locals' style place. We like Mexican food, BBQ, pizza, great burgers or good salads. We might also want to check out a bar afterwards if there is somewhere fun and not too expensive.

The next day we would perhaps like to rent some bikes and spend the morning at one beach and the afternoon at another. We don't know which spots we should head for though - sandy beaches would be preferred, in an area we can swim. We would like to just get around by bikes this day, and leave the car parked at the hotel, as we will be spending a lot of time in the car on this trip! But we can cycle pretty far in one day. We will also have to get food during the day and we are on a budget of about $90 per day, but this doesn't include breakfast and we are happy to just have tacos or something for lunch. In the evening we would like to watch the sunset from la Jolla beach.

We will be leaving On Wednesday 9th July and have to get to Santa Monica by the evening. We were thinking of driving the coastal route and perhaps stopping at some beaches on the way (did you guess yet that we love beaches?!). If anyone could recommend one or two places I would really appreciate it.

We would have loved to have spent more time in the San Diego area but unfortunately we just couldn't manage it this trip. So instead of doing lots of sightseeing we thought we would just take the opportunity to get some beach time and hopefully we will be back again in future to do more! Thanks all in advance for your help.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

Hi BethL !

Where in La Jolla are you staying? Here is a map that shows the boundries. The boundries are shown by the dotted lines of La Jolla. So the question is, "where are you staying in La Jolla?" It covers a large area.

https://goo.gl/maps/UovKU

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

> great burgers

For excellent burgers, superb value for money, spotlessly clean restaurants and friendly efficient service I'd highly recommend the In-n-Out chain which operates all over the southwest: http://goo.gl/kmd8sf

No I do not work for them :)

> we are happy to just have tacos

There's a big difference between true Mexican tacos and the Americanised Mexican fast food chains such as Taco Bell. If you're not familiar with that difference, you might like to try both and see which you (and your wallet) prefer.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

To late for me to edit. Not all hotels that list La Jolla in their name is actually close to the Village ( Downtown) or near the beach. So it's important to know where you plan on staying in La Jolla.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,301 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

Hopefully you have picked a hotel near beaches?? We cannot help you if we don't know where you are staying so please tell us the name of your hotel. The area is very large!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

Thanks for the replies. We are staying at the Travel lodge in La Jolla.

John - we are very much looking forward to having In n Out burgers! But we will be in California for a long time (4 weeks) so we will have a lot of opportunities to try In n Out, but as we are only in San Diego for 2 days I was hoping to get something a little more authentic... Hence wanting (real) tacos! We will probably get in n out at places where there are fewer dining options, or in places where food is expensive (like Vegas!) :-)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,301 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

Hi Beth,

You are in a good spot to bike south to the Pacific Beach area where there is a cement path along the beachfront and a large white sandy beach!

Practically right outside your hotel is a local Mexican restaurant called Su Casa.

At the northern edge of Pacific Beach there is a popular Mexican breakfast place called Konos. You buy inside and take it outside to eat on their patio overlooking the ocean.

In between these 2 spots there are others. Maybe Oscars Mexican Seafood too.

I am sure others will be on here soon to tell you their favorites.

It is about a 3mile bike ride from your hotel to Konos so not very far.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
620 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

I'm a big fan of The Public House in La Jolla for great burgers and tacos. They also have a great selection of beers and a nice outdoor seating area.

http://www.the-publichouse.com/

The Travelodge is in a good location though I think their website maybe embellishing their proximity to the beach.

Enjoy your trip to SoCal!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,684 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

I think it highly unlikely that anyone is the San Diego forum was going to direct you to a Taco Bell for Mexican food..... close to the Travelodge are Rigoberto's Taco Shop and Su Casa. A bit further into the village are El Pescator and Don Carlos Taco Shop.

Good burgers look at Whisknladle and Prepkitchen. These aren't Mickey's D dollar menu burgers, they are high end and fresh. La Jolla also has Burger Lounge with grass fed beef and bison and Smashburger, where one of your topping options is a fried egg.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,259 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

The TraveLodge is just 1 block from the famous surfing beach Windansea Beach. A long, curvy block of about 20 houses, but 1 block. I would go there to watch the sunsets and soak up some of the local atmosphere. To prep yourself on that neighborhood and its history, before the trip you could read the first chapter of "The Pump House Gang" by Tom Wolfe and browse a little of http://macmedadestruction.com. The house at 311 Dunemere Drive was owned by the founder of the Jack-in-the-Box fast food chain and also by a mayor of San Diego and is now owned by Mitt Romney. But if you swim at that beach be careful of sumberged rocks. Another beach I like is Wipeout Beach at the 700 block of Coast Boulevard in La Jolla.

Right across the street from the TraveLodge are Su Casa Mexican restaurant, Mandarin House Chinese restaurant, and I think there is an Italian restaurant there too but I can't remember the name of it. Rigoberto's taco shop is just a stroll away. Barleyanfigs, The Promiscuous Fork and The Shack Bar & Grill are all just a block away. Cafe Vahik is a coffee house right next door to the TraveLodge, but if you're a coffee connoisseur I would recommend going a little ways south to Bird Rock Coffee Roasters. There are many other places to eat all over La Jolla. I think Burger Lounge or Smashburger are 2 good choices, though not dirt cheap - burger at BL is $7.95 just for the burger, last time I was there.

Edited: 7:28 pm, May 16, 2014
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants, itinerary and driving route

When my family had a condo on Bonair I liked to eat at Su Casa for Mexican close by. For Chinese the Mandarin House is right there.