We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Labrador, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

Hi guys,

My partner and I are visiting the USA from the Gold Coast, AUS in nov-dec this year. I have done some pre reservations for hotels through hotels.com as the pricing didnt seem too bad etc and trying to prebook and pay for as much of the trip as possible before leaving AUS.

We are in San Diego from 3rd december-checking out the 7th december.

Whilst there we are going to the zoo & seaworld and hope to go out to some pubs/clubs in the area of a night. I looked around and thought maybe the Gaslamp quarter would be best suited for us. We will have a rental car but dont plan on using it really whilst there unless it makes getting to seaworld/zoo easier or less expensive.

I have pre reserved a room at the Horton hotel but can cancel up to dec 1st so wondering if any one has a different/better recomendation.

We're not too fussy, simply chasing a clean, comfortable hotel walking distance to pubs/resturants etc. Our budget would be under $200pn USD but obviously best value for money etc are the way we'd love to go.

Thanks guys and any help would be great-also any suggestions for other things we might want to do whilst there would be great.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

There are tons of possible hotels in the Gaslamp area but many charge quite a bit extra to park a car so you'd have to figure that into your budget. For me it is much too early to see good prices for the first week of December. That is usually a great time to travel with many "specials" available as it is after our Thanksgiving holiday and yet still way before Christmas.

In fact it is my b-day week when we often either stay in local hotels or go away. I have not received notice yet of any specials for that week since it is so early!

There are many other things to see/do here besides the zoo and Sea World so you may want to poke around on this site to read some trip reports or to put in 4days in the search box above to find some other ideas.Let us know what other types of things may interest you. If you stay in the gaslamp you'll be near the bay with its ships to visit and bay cruises/whale watching cruises.

www.thebigbay.com

When you are at the zoo you'll be in Balboa Park which deserves time as well for its lovely gardens,small museums of all sorts with interesting architecture, restaurants, live theater,walking trails, outdoor entertainment etc.

www.balboapark.org

There's Cabrillo National Monument for wonderful views,Ca. history, tide pools.

Also our La Jolla neighborhood with small rocky beaches that have seals and sea lions in their native environment.

The Horton GrandI( if that is the one you mean?) is an historic hotel with the flavor of the old time San Diego. If that is your style then I cannot think of another similar one in that area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
611 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

If pubs and clubs in the evening is what you're looking for you're staying in the right place. The Horton Grand is well located in the Gaslamp Quarter. It seems like you can stay there well within your budget, even with the parking fee. Not sure you could do much better.

Labrador, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

hey guys thanks for the help. Yes the Horton Grand seems like a good deal but yes I agree, other deals could come up closer to then. We didnt book that particular accomodation due to style, just simply due to price and location. Thanks for tips on things to see/do also, will do some reading between now and then.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

I assume the Horton Grand has a decent cancellation policy. If so, just keep checking other hotels and if something better comes along you can change to the other hotel. The Horton Grand is a nice hotel. Just enough out of the hustle & bustle of the Gaslamp. It doesn't have a pool. Which some people don't care about. But it

s a nice boutique hotel in a good location.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

if you have to pay your parking fee anyways, you might as well drive to the zoo / balboa park. it's not too far away and has free parking. sea world, you could look at alternative ways to get there as they do charge quite a bit to park there. one day you could easily go carless just waundering around the downtown area (uss midway, seaport village), take ferry over to coronado and go see the hotel an beautiful beach. one day you could drive around to further out places...go for a walk along the boardwalk between mission & pacific beach, go to la jolla and maybe cabrillo national monument. actually, that might be too much depending what time you are leaving on the 7th.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,955 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

I would take La Pensione in Little Italy over the Horton Grand and the Gaslamp, maybe the Best Western Bayside and Double Tree as well.

You can walk to restaurants and bars from all of them or hop on the trolley for one or two stops if you'd prefer not to walk.

7. Re: Hotel selection San Diego Dec 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 13, 2015