We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

Hi, Hope you can help please. My husband and I are travelling from LA to San Diego on the train and I wasn't planning on hiring a car but now I am reconsidering. We will be staying 4 nights and hope to visit Sea World, perhaps the zoo, La Jolla and Midway. Also need to get to the airport to depart San Diego. In addition, my husband has announced that he needs to buy walking shoes/runners in San Diego before we do anything. I believe to get to the outlet stores you need a car - is there a huge difference in prices between the outlet and normal shopping stores to make hiring a car worthwhile? I don't want to spend a long time shopping. Looking at approximately $30 per day car hire. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

From where you are staying you can walk to the USS Midway. SeaWorld and the Zoo will be short cab rides and La Jolla a fairly long cab ride. The area has a good number of restaurants and you're close to downtown and Gaslamp District via short cab rides. Looks like your hotel doesn't provide parking and you'll need to find on the street which could be a hassle. My guess is that there will be a small difference in cost taking cabs versus hiring a car. But the car will be a hassle.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

Hi cynbaz - A car will help you to get around much quicker. Especially to La Jolla to the North and the Las Americas Outlet Mall to the South. In a car both are approx 15 mins. Using public transportation over an hour one-way. There are a couple of tours that go to La Jolla.

As far as I know, Hotel Vyvant doesn't have any parking. So you'll be parking on the street or in one of the lots. From the hotel you can walk to the USS Midway in about 20 - 25 mins. Which would actually be better than driving because you have to pay for parking.

In a car you'll be at the Zoo within 10 mins and SeaWorld 10 - 15 mins. It is just overall quicker to get around even though you could get to the places you want go using public transportation.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

I was going to recommend perhaps only getting a car for a couple of days. Or 1 day. Use it to go to the Outlet Mall and La Jolla. You could rent the car and drive to La Jolla. Look around and have lunch. Then drive the 5 Fwy South to Las Americas Premium Outlet and do your shopping. Turn the car in either the same day or the next morning. Enterprise will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel or wherever you want. The Zoo you can take a cab. SeaWorld a cab or the combo Greenline Trolley then change in Old Town to a bus.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,272 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

I would not go to an outlet mall just to buy a pair of shoes!

There are tons of places to buy them closer than going down to the border to Las Americas BUT

IF you are going north to La Jolla then I'd continue north to see some of the coast and then go to the outlet mall in Carlsbad:

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp…

I would not drive north to then go past your hotel and go all the way south to Las Americas before turning around to get back to your hotel. To me it is to much back and forth to make the day fun!

Edited: 9:08 pm, May 05, 2014
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,809 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

The reason why there is a difference in prices at an Outlet vs a regular mall is that you arent getting the same stuff.

At Outlets they sell specifically made for outlet things that you cant buy in a regular store from the same brand, lower quality etc. They also sell items that didn't sell in the regular store like last seasons items, off colors, off sizes etc.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

Thanks for all of the worthwhile responses. I think we will just buy the runners at a shopping mall close to the hotel and then try getting around without a car. We may end up hiring for a day to go to La Jolla - I was very shocked to see the price of parking around the city and at SeaWorld!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

Horton Plaza is in Downtown

https://goo.gl/maps/G6Tql

https://goo.gl/maps/v4k2n

Or you can hop on the Green Line Trolley from Little Italy and go to Fashion Valley Mall or the Mission Valley Mall. Both have trolley stops. The Fashion Valley Mall is first

https://goo.gl/maps/lIh6t

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

Melbourne
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

Thanks - this is extremely helpful

9. Re: Staying at Vyvant Hotel - do I need car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 11, 2015