We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for singles?

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for singles?

My husband, 24-year-old son and I are going to be vacationing in San Diego in mid-August. On our last vacation to the Caymans, we stayed at a great hotel, but it had very few singles our son's age -- mostly families with younger kids and engaged couples. We want our hotel in San Diego that has a lot of singles, a pool, and a hot tub ~ don't care about the noise. Can you suggest a good hotel that has these features?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for singles?

I'd look at Pacific Beach first. Pacific Terrace, Beach Cottages, Ocean Park Inn, Blue Sea Lodge. Lots of people in their 20's and in August it will be busy and bustling. Many bars and restaurants. The Catamaran is 1 block from the beach on Mission Bay.

https://goo.gl/maps/1XfhH

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,966 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for singles?

I don't think San Diego is that kind of a city......

But the hotels most likely to have the youngest people by the pool are going to be in Downtown, mostly the Gaslamp I think. Places like the Hard Rock Hotel, Hotel Solamar, Andaz and The W San Diego.

Along the same lines as elizzie, in Pacific Beach it is very much a youth culture, but more in the restaurants, on the beach and in the numerous bars in the area, but maybe not in the hotels themselves so much.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for singles?

Thanks for your message! Will look into them now.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for singles?

Thanks a lot of for your comment. Will check into them along with elizzie4000 's recommendations :)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for singles?

I personally would prefer a Beach casual feel, than a Downtown Urban Feel. But the OP knows their son better than we do.

But the Pacific Beach and Mission Beach areas area great places to meet others. Get a Hotel next to the ocean, and your son can just cruise the boardwalk and run into plenty of others similar of age.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for singles?

Are you sure that these hotels cater to singles? I read about 20 reviews for each one and there's no mention of adult singles being there, although they sound like very nice hotels.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for singles?

scott is right about the Gaslamp having more of a 'pool' scene. There are several hotels that have rooftop pool bars and especially on the weekend are quite the place to be. The Gaslamp also has a club scene.

Pacific Beach doesn't have any roof top pool bars. But the 'scene' is on the beach and in the restaurants and bars. There's a boardwalk with rollerbladers, people biking, running, etc. right beside the beach. There is no beach in Downtown SD where the Gaslamp is. So that's where you're decision will come into play.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,668 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for singles?

As scott mentioned it is not the hotels themselves that will have singles but the beach area of Pacific Beach is a big area for local 20somethings to go out and party!

San Diego is a large city with a large local population that uses its beaches and restaurants.

It is not an isolated island like the Caymans where tourists are the only ones in the restaurants /bars.

Downtown San Diego has the Gaslamp entertainment district where again there are lots of bars, restaurants, and dance clubs. There are also pool parties at the hotels there.

These are probably a bit more upmarket than the beach bars/restaurants.

Again you may not necessarily find lots of singles staying at the hotels but they will be there partying!

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel for singles?

Riff M, so if I look at the Pacific Beach location, are there areas where 20-somethings hang out on the beach?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,894 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel for singles?

<<<<Riff M, so if I look at the Pacific Beach location, are there areas where 20-somethings hang out on the beach?>>>

Correct and in the bars there too. Its where a lot of college kids live. As already mentioned Downtown has a ton of bars too so many singles are in that area as well. A hotel in either location will put your 24 year old son in an area with many single people. On a weekend a hotel like the Hard Rock and the beach hotels will have many singles staying there but during the week not as many.

Edited: 2:57 pm, April 21, 2014