We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Torrance to Anza Borrego

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Torrance to Anza Borrego

Hi,

I posted same in Borrego Forums, but it is less active so it seems it was skipped by others, so duplicating here as well.

I am in Torrance and planning to do a day-trip (long day) to Flower Field (Carlsbad) and then Anza Borrego State Park. I will going on coming Saturday (tomorrow) or Sunday. Torrance to Carlsbad route is straight via I5. I can spend around 1 hour and then will head towards Anza Borrego. Carlsbad to Anza Borrego goes with 76+S2 or 78.

- Which is recommended route from scenic point of view ?

I will be going in non-suv vehicle (Camry) and we are not much into hiking. Along with Anza Borrego, I will be going to Galleta Meadows as well.

- How big is that ? Can I see a bit of both places (Anza Borrego and Galleta Meadows) in same day ?

- I was not able to find another other nearby worthy place to give some time, while searching on internet. Am I missing something, where I should give some time near to Anza Borrego or while coming back to Torrance ? Accordingly I will divide my time.

Regards

San Diego...
Level Contributor
620 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Torrance to Anza Borrego

Sounds like a long day of driving but it's a great scenic route. Desert flowers should be in good form. With regard to the routes you mention, I would take one each way. Both are nicely scenic. I would only suggest that you avoid the Banner Grade on 78. You can do this by taking 79 North from Santa Ysabel and then taking S2 back south to 78 again. The Banner Grade is steep and winding and the beautiful views can be distracting.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Torrance to Anza Borrego

We've done Anza Borrego as a day trip. Bring a picnic - food options are not good in the desert!

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://theabf.org/plan_your_visit/wildflowers

Between the drive and all the visit to Anza Borrego, you will have an extremely long day. Really no need to stop anywhere else, especially because you are already doing Carlsbad.

The Borrego Palm Canyon hike is very worthwhile if you go early to avoid lots of other hikers. It's a nice hike that isn't difficult. You will want to get off the road to really see wildflowers and cactus blooms. I think the biggest mistake people think is that they can sit in a car and see it all from there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Torrance to Anza Borrego

Thanks steveprez and PlumeriaD. Noted your suggestions.

4. Re: Day trip from Torrance to Anza Borrego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2015