We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

Calgary, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

I have somewhat narrow my hotels but would like any input as I am not sure.

I have a better price at the Four Points Sheraton but we want to walk around Gaslamp and the marina near The Manchester Hyatt, browse around whenever when we feel like it. The Westin San Diego seems to be a much better location and I assume it is much nicer. Is that correct?

The price is around $260 for the Westin. It is an extra $100. But we do want to step out whenever we feel like it. If you think the Westin is not worth it, please let me know.

If we stayed at the Four Points, it looks like it is near a hwy. and a bit of ways from everywhere. Otherwise I would just stay at the Hilton or Sheraton at the Bay near the airport which looks nicer. Am I correct?

Thanks for any opinions. I have studied every hotel in downtown and for the last week of April everything is much higher. My interests are the Hyatt, Westins, or any nice enjoyable hotel near everything.

Cheers

Jay

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

Hi Jay -

Well very different areas and one are better than others for very different reasons.

The 4 Points is a great location for being 5 minutes walk to Little Italy and some of the best restaurants in San Diego. IMO better than restaurants in Downtown. The issue with the hotel is the location. Not the distance to anything but that it is next to the freeway and possible noise.

If you aren't tied to that hotel have a look at the Doubletree Little Italy, Best Western Plus Bayside (the best location.) If you don't care about a pool look at La Pensione.

The Westin Downton is closer to the Bay and walking around there. Good location to walk to the Bay and restaurants. I would also look at the Wyndham Bayside which is across the street from the Bay and walking distance to both downtown and Little Italy - or short taxi ride or depending how far - the lightrail trolley.

I don't think that you understand that when you say that you'd consider a stay at the Hilton or Sheraton on the bay that you can't walk to anything. So you have to get in your car and drive anywhere you want to go and that could include restaurants. Unlike the other places mentioned.

Edited: 3:03 am, March 21, 2014
Calgary, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

Thanks,

I will check it out!

Is the Westgate an ok hotel? It also seems centrally located as well

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,607 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

The Westgate has a more European elegant feel than the other hotels you've mentioned.

It's location, like the Westin has an urban feel and is certainly walkable to everything.

It does not have bay views which you'd get if you looked at the Doubletree, BW Bayside, or Wyndham Bayside(especially in its south building.)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

As Riff says, the Westgate is a good location. It's a very elegant and ornate hotel. Gold gilding and all that. Walking distance to all of Downtown. Have you looked at their reviews on TA and yelp.com

I'd still head to Little Italy for some good food (not all Italian, BTW.)

pebble beach
Level Contributor
261 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

how much time will you stay in your (hotel/room)? little italy is across the street from four points six minute walk.downtown is a twenty minute walk. balboa park/zoo is a twenty minute walk.we walked all the way to seaport village(ocean) and to the bayfront hilton(convention center)try to get a higher floor on opposite side of highway and you will save yourself 100$ a night. the food on this end of downtown is yummy.for quick cheap food and drinks Caps two minutes from four points is good.

6. Re: Four Points by Sheraton or Westin San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2015