We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

Ormond Beach...
6 posts
Save Topic
Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

I am attending a conference at Torrey Pines in San Diego, CA 6/24 - 6/28. My husband and I will be arriving at our initial destination on satuarday 6/21 and need to arrive at Torrey Pines by Monday evening 6/23. We have only visited san diego; no where else in CA. We are cosidering flying into Las Vegas, renting a car and driving from there, but are open to any major airport. We have two days and would like to know the best road trip. Also, folks seem to love san diego. We found it a bit boring. What are we missing? We enjoy historical places and buildings, plays, wild life, beautiful landscapes and great food (equally enjoy hole-in-the-wall places as well as fine restaurants as long as food and service are good). We live close to major theme parks, so sea world and the zoo aren't very interesting to us. We live about 15 miniutes from the beach, so swimming and sun bathing aren't exciting. I'm a horrible golfer so the famous golf course isn't appealing. We also have fine/designer shopping available at home. I do enjoy unique shops that feature local crafts or artists. I have three afternoons free-time and a full day free-time. Any suggestions? (I must sound very hard to please. We love yellowstone and jackson WY, Zion, grand canyon, st augustine fl, the florida keys, boston and new york.) Thank you for any suggestions.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

What have you already done/seen in San Diego??

I hate to repeat ideas that you found "boring".

Have you walked at Torrey Pines State Reserve?

Have you walked in Balboa Park or at Cabrillo National Monument?

Have you walked along La Jolla Cove?

Have you driven to the desert and walked in Anza Borrego State Park?

Have you gone to Presidio Park or the San Diego de Alcala Mission?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

For the benefit of those who come after me here is the OP with paragraphs:

I am attending a conference at Torrey Pines in San Diego, CA 6/24 - 6/28. My husband and I will be arriving at our initial destination on satuarday 6/21 and need to arrive at Torrey Pines by Monday evening 6/23.

We have only visited san diego; no where else in CA. We are cosidering flying into Las Vegas, renting a car and driving from there, but are open to any major airport. We have two days and would like to know the best road trip.

Also, folks seem to love san diego. We found it a bit boring. What are we missing?

We enjoy historical places and buildings, plays, wild life, beautiful landscapes and great food (equally enjoy hole-in-the-wall places as well as fine restaurants as long as food and service are good). We live close to major theme parks, so sea world and the zoo aren't very interesting to us. We live about 15 miniutes from the beach, so swimming and sun bathing aren't exciting. I'm a horrible golfer so the famous golf course isn't appealing. We also have fine/designer shopping available at home. I do enjoy unique shops that feature local crafts or artists.

I have three afternoons free-time and a full day free-time. Any suggestions? (I must sound very hard to please. We love yellowstone and jackson WY, Zion, grand canyon, st augustine fl, the florida keys, boston and new york.) Thank you for any suggestions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a bit confused by your statement "arriving at our initial destination on satuarday 6/21." Do you mean you haven't chosen where to fly into yet? With only 6/21 to 6/23 you don't have much time which cuts down your range. Perhaps Santa Barbara (although flights are expensive and rarely direct).

Do you like the desert? You could fly into SD and head out to Borrego Springs. The Casa del Zorro has recently reopened (I haven't been yet) but it's always been a lovely resort. The town is quite small however and the surrounding area is true desert ... not like Palm Springs. There is great hiking in the area.

In your free time I would suggest checking out Del Mar, the Cedros Design area of Solana Beach and the village of Rancho Santa Fe.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

Yes, please tell us more. What have you seen and done here in San diego?

Staying in La Jolla you might want to drive up to the Botanical Garden

http://www.sdbgarden.org/

In addition to what has already been mentioned have you taken a harbor cruise or gone to Pacific Beach and walked the boardwalk? Coronado or La Jolla. Please tell us more.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

You might see if any of the performing arts centers will be showing something you're interested in

https://www.lajollaplayhouse.org/

http://www.theoldglobe.org/tickets/index.aspx

balboapark.org/in-the-park/Performing%20Arts…

http://www.broadwaysd.com/

http://lyceumevents.org/

www.sandiegosymphony.org/calendar/index.aspx…

Ormond Beach...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

Thank you for your suggestions. Using them, I've already found a play that I'd like to see and planned the activities for our free time. Any must-do restaurants? I think we may fly into Las Vegas and drive to SD. I'd like to see the desert and Joshua Tree State Park. Any suggestions for the drive? We will probably stay in Palm Springs Saturday night, but are very open to side trips.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

I always suggest any coastal drive to see the beach towns and scenery along the coast...

Boston
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

definitely spend an afternoon walking in Torrey pines state reserve, it's beautiful and you can hike right down to the water/beach. And if you haven't spent any time walking around La Jolla cove I would recommend that too- www.lajollabythesea.com/activities/hiking

My favorite restaurant is Georges and I like eating on the terrace on top instead of in the more formal dining room.

It sounds like you've made up your mind about flying into Vegas, and I do like Joshua Tree (I camped there over night though). alternatively, you could considering flying into LA and driving PCH and spending 2 nights in Laguna beach (tons of cool artsy type shops, galleries), then Mon AM you could continue driving down and take coastal route from Oceanside. I personally would rather spend my time going through little coastal towns, then the dessert, but that is just me!

8. Re: Best two day road trip ending at Torrey Pines in San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, March 21, 2015