We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Hotel help

Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
San Diego Hotel help

Hi

We are visiting San Diego in October for 3 nights and are looking for advice on where to stay. We won't have a car and there will be myself and my daughter 12 and another Mum and her 2 daughters 13 and 9. We are planning on visiting Seaworld, Zoo and shopping outlets.

Could you suggest somewhere safe, close to transport and easy to get meals (child friendly places)?

I visited in 2012 and we stayed in Carlsbad, lovely but this time we won't have a car. Budget is $150-200

1. Re: San Diego Hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:05 am, March 07, 2014
Edited: 6:05 am, March 07, 2014
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Hotel help

Hi periwinkle - welcome back

The best places to stay w/o a car are Downtown, Little Italy and Old Town.

The closest Outlet Mall is Las Premiums which is about an hour on the trolley one way. And then approx a 15 min walk if there aren't any taxis to get there.

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp…

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Hotel help

With your budget and wanting access to Public Transit, and a family friendly place, I would look at the Old Town Inn, highly rated here at TA, close to the Old Town Transit Center and the Old Town State Park.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Hotel help

HI there,

Wondering how you are getting to San Diego,train/plane, car service ???

One very convenient hotel within your budget would be the Best Western Bayside facing San Diego Bay in our small bayfront downtown.

It offers free breakfast and is well within your budget with a discount for staying 3 days.

It would allow easy access to public transport/tours and many restaurants of all sorts in walking distance.

http://www.baysideinn.com/

Another possibility nearby would be the Wyndham Bayfront where I prefer their south building for great views of the cruise port and other ships.

You might also consider La Pensione in our nearby Little Italy neighborhood which might even be less expensive.

In the Old Town area mentioned above I prefer the Fairfield Suites since you have a high enough budget to usually stay there. The Old Town Inn is generally less expensive and the location, although safe, is across a very busy road from all the shops and restaurants of Old Town and it is very dark and quiet there at night since it is next to some light industry which is closed at night.

Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Hotel help

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I will go and have a good look.

Although we haven't decided fully, we are likely to catch the train. It is looking like it would be much easier to hire a car though. We will be coming from Anaheim and returning there afterwards.

We had friends recommend Handlery Hotel - would that be too hard without a car?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Hotel help

I know that the Handlery Hotel has a shuttle. But other than that it's not where I would want to stay on vacation.

I would look at the suggestions that Riff gave. At least there are restaurants to walk to. And you can walk to the Bay / Marina. Better than being in a hotel at the side of a freeway and no restaurants to walk to.

Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Hotel help

Just wanted to thank you again for your advice, it is helpful to know the locations of the hotels and what would suit our needs better. I ended going with one of Riff's suggestions and have booked the Fairfield Inn and Suites Old Town.

Can't wait to visit again and see more of your beautiful city

8. Re: San Diego Hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2015