We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Saskatoon, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Help choosing our hotel

Hi, our family of 4 ( 19 and 18 year old sons), are travelling to San Diego for the first week of May. We can rent a car but hoping we don't have to. Was wondering which hotel I should pick. I've narrowed it down to The Fairfield Inn and Suites in Old Town or the Handlery hotel. We are wanting to do the USS Midway, La Jolla, Sea World, Zoo, and watch a Padres game. Any suggestions on our itinerary or hotel stay would be great. Our plane lands at noon and are there for a week so we have 61/2 days to explore San Diego.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing our hotel

Hi 36 - you could potentially stay in Old Town and get around to the places you want to go w/o a car. There's the lightrail trolley that will take you to Little Italy and Downtown San Diego where the USS Midway and Petco Park are.

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

You could also take this Trolley Tour to visit other areas. They also have a tour that goes to La Jolla

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

trolleytours.com/san-diego/beach-tours.asp

Tour Guide Tim and Another Side of San Diego also have tours. Taking the bus will take about an hour one-way trip. The #30 bus goes there

…sdmts.com/sdmtsapp/mtscr/TimeTable.aspx…

If you stay in Old Town at least you have restaurants to walk to or, better yet, take the trolley to Little Italy or Downtown for much better restaurants.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing our hotel

They are both a bit of a hike to the nearest Trolley Station.

Here are the walks...

The Handley... (About 2/3 rd's of mile)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6226620

Fairfield inn, almost the same 2/3 'rds of a mile).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6226621

The benefit of the Fairfield, besides being next to the Old Town State Park and Presidio Park, is that the Old Town Transit Center hosts many bus routes. MTS Route 9 goes to the SeaWorld entrance. Every other Route 30 bus goes to La Jolla (the other ones stop at Pacific Beach), so 15 minutes between buses for PB, 30 minutes for La Jolla.

Either station is on the green line, so good for the Padres Game, the USS Midway and the San Diego Zoo (though you do need to transfer to the MTS Route 7 bus to Balboa Park.)

Looking at the Padres Schedule in early May, the May 3rd game against the D-Backs should be a good game, and you would get a free Beach Blanket for attending. Friday, May 10th is against the Marlins, so more than likely not the best game, but the 10th Anniversary of play at PETCO Park is being celebrated with a large Fireworks show after the game.

IMHO, SeaWorld is a full day, and the Zoo can be, if you get done early, Balboa Park is next tot he Zoo and good to check out.

Maybe get an early start one day, head to the USS Midway Museum at opening, then head to the La Jolla area for the afternoon.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing our hotel

OH, by the way, Fashion Valley has a lot of good options of where to eat (next to the Trolley Station, a good option for a place to eat after heading back to the Handlery.

simon.com/mall/…dining-fun

And the main transit link..

www.sdcommute.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing our hotel

You might want to also check out the Old Town Inn, a 1/4 of a mile walk to the Transit Center, here is a map for its location.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6226641

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,656 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing our hotel

Between those two, I'd be inclined to go with Fairfield Inn because there is lots around it (restaurants & shops) . The Handlery is a bit more isolated. Not until you get to Fashion Valley are there restaurants, and even when you get to the Fashion Valley trolley station, the shops and restaurants are probably another 1/4 mile.

Did you look at the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn? It is on the edge of Little Italy and has better dining close by than Old Town and then you are closer to the Gaslamp, USS Midway, ferry to Coronado, etc.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing our hotel

I meant to ask - why is it down to these two hotels?

If you'd like some other options give dates that you'll be here and what your per night budget is. Also, it looks like you'll need a hotel with 2 beds and 1 sofa bed.

Without having any of that information it appears that you are on a lower budget. Have you looked at the Old Town Inn? It's not normally my first choice to recommend but it might be in your case depending on your budget.

Edited: 12:16 am, March 07, 2014
Saskatoon, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing our hotel

We are using points we have with a travel company and those were two hotels we have enough points to stay at. We are now paying the difference and are now going to stay at The Dana in Mission Bay. I hope we are not disappointed. We will rent a car but is there things we can get to by walking so we can only rent a car for half the time we are there? They provide a shuttle to seaworld. How about the ball game, should we drive there? Besides the activities I've mentioned is there anything else you would recommend for our young adults to do? Thanks for all your help, this site is awesome.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choosing our hotel

The problem with the Dana is that it's isolated and you have to drive to eat off property. The only thing within walking distance is the bay trails, the bay beach. You could walk to the Hyatt.

Bus #8 goes by

…sdmts.com/sdmtsapp/mtscr/TimeTable.aspx…

And #9

Yes, you'd need to drive to PetCo Park.

https://goo.gl/maps/wjJAg

Saskatoon, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help choosing our hotel

So here is what we have come up with for our vacation, if u find I should change anything to go more smoothly, let me know. So I booked The Dana, and we will rent a car. Any ideas where I can stop for snacks and drinks on the way from airport? We will then check-in and go for walk around mission bay and find something to eat and then hit the hot tub. Thurs will hit the zoo and then look around in Balboa Park. Fri we will spend the whole day at sea world. Sat I thought we would drive to old town and take the trolley. Maybe visit balboa park again and the USS midway. Once we get back to old town maybe explore the area for dinner. Sun I thought we could visit the safari park and on our way back stop and explore La Jolla and have dinner there. Mon we are actually going to go watch an angels game instead of a padres game as we looked and realized they are playing yankies. This is my sons favourite team. My question is should we drive there or take the train from old town? Should I buy tickets there or from their website? The game is at 7:00 so when should we leave if we drive? Should we go to Belmont park in the morning before or is there something we can do on our way to Anaheim? Tue is a free day, to relax, rent a bike or go visit something we want to go see again. Weds we fly home at 1:00 so eat, get to airport and return car and fly home. Any imput would be great.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choosing our hotel

<<Any ideas where I can stop for snacks and drinks on the way from airport? >>

Here is the map showing how to get to the Dana from the Airport

https://goo.gl/maps/UiQO5

You will pass Liberty Station where there is a Von's supermarket and a Trader Joes

https://goo.gl/maps/BHZZr