We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Trip

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
July Trip

Hey everyone. I am trying to plan a trip from July 9-13.This forum has been great but have a few questions about where to stay and what to do. We are a couple in our 30's with an almost 2 year old.

Wed: Arrive. Not sure what I want to do we will have the afternoon and an early dinner. Maybe Oldtown or beach? I am assuming my son is too young for the Midway. Something good to do in that area?

Thursday: Zoo

Friday morning/lunch La Jolla then head to LA

Saturday: Hollywood and Santa Monica

Sunday: fly home from LA.

I am trying to get an extra day for SD but not sure if it's possible. We are from Florida so no need for theme parks and while this isn't our beach vacation we do love our beach time. I would do the whole trip in SD but we have friends in both places.

Our budget is less than $200 for hotel. I know that beach areas are out for this budget (I can't do mom and pop hotels). We will have a car so that won't be an issue. Ideas of where to stay? Would at least like a decent pool if we are not near beach.

Would also like any restaurant recommendations. We love trying local flavor.

Any advice on how to travel cross country with a toddler? I am a little worried about the time change.

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,204 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Trip

Hi,

Under $200 in summer with any sort of water view(not necessarily ocean) is pretty difficult to find! Not sure I understand what you mean by "mom and pop hotel" so please explain?

Florida in summer is sort of off season and inexpensive but California is just the opposite!

Do you have AAA?? That may make it almost possible otherwise you may need to give up on beach and "decent pool".

Let me know what exactly you need.

Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July Trip

Oh, I realize that we can't stay at the beach. So anywhere else with a pool is fine. A park or someplace to walk to in the morning would be good since I'm sure we will have a super early riser. Just don't know where to go! :-)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Trip

I would start with the Old Town Inn, well rated here at TA, the Old Town State Park is within walking distance, and would be under your price including taxes and fees.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

Check out the Family Suite, which handles 6, might be a good match for you.

http://www.oldtown-inn.com/suites/rooms.aspx

Another option to look into is Liberty Station and its Hotels, alas, the prices in summer might be over your budget.

libertystation.com/directory-type/hotels-ven…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Trip

Check out Homewood Suites Liberty Station. Even if it's a little bit over budget take into account that it has Free Parking (rare), Free Breakfast and during the week Free Dinners / Drinks. It might work out when you add up those things. Also you can see the water even if it's not the beach. Also, right next door is a great park with a playground.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

You might also look at hotels on Shelter Island. Best Western Island Palms, Humphrey's Half Moon Inn, The Bay Club. Also scenic.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Trip

FYI, free parking is not that rare in San Diego, with a couple of areas such as Downtown being the exception, or staying at a full service Hotel.

But many areas, such as Hotel Circle have many free parking opitions.

And the Old Town Inn offers free parking, a free breakfast, free Wi-Fi and some rooms would have a kitchen/kitchenette.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,859 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July Trip

Looking at your dates using the pricing tools here on TripAdvisor I came up with the Omni Hotel in the Gaslamp and $179, which is a pretty screaming rate for a great hotel and they have a very nice pool.

Also in Downtown coming in under your budget are the Hotel Solamar, Westin Gaslamp and the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn.

Since you are only in SD a couple of night the Downtown hotels are very central and giving great rates, but I would jump on them quickly.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,204 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July Trip

The downtown hotels are a great idea! I didn't have a chance to check them out earlier this AM. They are certainly nice hotels !!

Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: July Trip

Thanks! I will check out those hotels. Will def add up the cost of staying downtown vs homewood.

Any advise for the rest of the itenerary/questions?

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July Trip

Did you check the Catamaran in Paciific beach or the Bahia...we stayed at the Bahia it's reasonable, near the beach but on the bay so it's nice for small children.

10. Re: July Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 27, 2015