We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

boston
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

Would this itinerary make sense? I have been to both cities before and I don't think I could go back to CA without a visit to Monterey! Right now I am thinking fly into SAN, leave for Monterey Monday or Tuesday afternoon, possibly spend a night between the two, W and TH as full days in Monterey and head back Friday afternoon, and fly home late Saturday night or Sunday.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

Seems reasonable. I would just plan to spend a night enroute in between San Diego and Monterey in both directions. The only other thing is that unless I've misread your post, you haven't indicated how long this would give you in San Diego at the start of your trip? Are you intending to fly in to San Diego and then depart for Monterey immediately, or will you be spending any time there first?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

If you dont want to drive Alaska flies from San Diego to Monterey, you can get RT airfare for less than $200

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

when going from san diego, i use to often plan my first night in santa barbara. then it's a decent distance from there to monterey so you can spend the day enjoying the great drive. just be careful with your travel times. you don't want to waste any of your precious hours stuck in la traffic (at least as avoidable as possible). for example, you said you were coming back on a friday. best time to get through la, in my opinion...very late at night/early morning...nothing really to see and easy freeway to drive at night.

Edited: 9:29 am, January 31, 2014
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

I think it's doable, but NOT via Highway 1.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

Why not do the drive 1 way and fly home from Monterrey, SFO, SJC or OAK? From Monterrey they will fly you to another larger airport to get to Boston but the price is often competitive with the other Bay area airports.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

I guess I question why you are backtracking. Why not fly into San Diego and out of an airport up north? It makes much more sense to me.

7. Re: 1 week- San Diego and Monterey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2015