We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking around town

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
parking around town

We'll be staying in Mission Beach but want to explore many neighborhoods in San Diego. I'm assuming we will need a car. I have several parking related questions:

Is street parking metered all over the city or just in downtown?

Do the meters still require quarters or are they set up for credit cards?

Is free street parking reasonably available outside of downtown?

Are there municipal parking lots where you can pay to park for longer than the 2 hour limit on parking meters?

If we want to drive to the Old Town transit center, leave the car there and use the trolly, is there parking readily available.

Thanks.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking around town

This recent thread will answer some of your questions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k711308…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking around town

In Downtown SD and in Little Italy there are some metered spots where you park and there is no meter at your spot but you pay at a box for several cars. They definitely take credit cards.

There is free parking at the Old Town Transit center as well as free street parking and some parking lots. The parking lot at the transit center can fill up but there's not way to know if it will be busy when you want to park there. I was in Old Town at 5:30 on a Sat night a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe how crowded it was and people driving around looking for parking. I had my Mom in the car and she has a Handicap placard so we did find a spot.

Again, it depends but generally speaking you'll find a parking spot.

<<Is free street parking reasonably available outside of downtown? >>

It depends. Places like Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach all have free parking. Balboa Park and the Zoo has free parking. Banker's Hill has meters but if you walk a block off the main roads (5th & 4th) you can find free. 6th Ave is free. Hillcrest has a lot of meters you'd have to look for free parking in the residential areas off of University & Washington.

Edited: 4:53 pm, January 14, 2014
New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: parking around town

Thanks. In New York we have those machines also but the change over isn't complete and some places the meters still need quarters, so we keep a stack in the car. Is that the case in San Diego also?

Thanks.

Marlene

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking around town

There are still many meters at each parking space that take change (not just quarters).

I forgot to mention that in 'some' neighborhoods like mine and certain neighborhoods in Hillcrest there are also 'Permit Parking' streets. I can't tell you all of the places you will find this so be careful and read signs. I can say there are none in the heart of Downtown or Little Italy. It's probably not likely you'll find yourself in those neighborhoods.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: parking around town

<<<Thanks. In New York we have those machines also but the change over isn't complete and some places the meters still need quarters, so we keep a stack in the car. Is that the case in San Diego also?>>>

Unfortunately it is the case here too.

Most of if not all of the old coin meters do take a special card that you can preload with cash then insert it into the meter, for a tourist probably not helpful but living here it is handy to use. You have to buy the card at specific places.

Here is a link for more info on that card if you are interested in learning more:

sandiego.gov/parking/…cards.shtml

6. Re: parking around town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 16, 2015