We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Cold Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

We are a young family on extended stay in SD. We hope to "live like locals" do at one of these vacation rentals, walk the neighbourhood with our kids ages 2 & 5, visit playgrounds, farmer's markets, coffee shops, and my hubby is interested in craft beer. We will have a car but find it much more pleasant to walk if we can. We will have already stayed for a month on Coronado and so we will have already done many of the tourist attractions and beaches. This is our week for some downtime.

We could use some help choosing between 3 vacation rentals in the Hillcrest/Uni.Heights/North Park area (from what I can tell). Could use help determining: safety and quietness of neighbourhoods for kids/walking, proximity to restaurants, coffee shops, and playgrounds, farmer's market. I'd appreciate hearing from locals or travellers with young kids!

1. www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p512492vb

2. www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p481506vb

3. vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/…

utm_source=DB&utm_medium=email&utm_term=20140112&utm_content=prop-pg_text_o_lprop&utm_campaign=VROwnerInquiry

Thanks in advance for your help!

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Hi Happy Trails!

I only looked at the locations of these rentals and nothing else so far. #3 you can walk easily / safely to the Zoo and Balboa Park, lots of restaurants in Hillcrest and to the Sunday Farmers Market. So I'd say, location wise it's a good pick.

#1 - I'm not as familiar with North Park but it looks to be a good location. I'm sure someone will come along and say what's walkable. 30th St has lots of restaurants as does University so it's probably walkable to those.

#2 - This one looks to be close to restaurants on Adams but someone else will have to tell you how many, etc.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,368 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Hi,

I am not excited about your rental no. 1 .

No. 2 is located right near Trolley Barn Park which is a small neighborhood park. North of it are residential homes.

www.yelp.com/biz/trolley-barn-park-san-diego

There are restaurants along Park and restaurants along Adams. We actually looked to buy homes in this neighborhood at one time. The closest shopping for groceries is farther down Park at Sprouts:

sprouts.com/stores/sprouts-san-diego-north-p…

Rental no. 3 is close to the northern edge of Balboa Park which would also be a good spot.

I'd pick either 2 or 3 and knock out no. 1

Edited: 2:09 pm, January 13, 2014
Cold Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Thanks so much for your helpful input. Trolley Barn Park looks great for our kids!

Is it because of the location that you would cross off number 1? Or other reason?

Do you know Park street? I noticed that rental #2 comes with bicycles. Wondering how safe it would be to cycle down Park pulling our Chariot bike trailer with kids in it to Balboa Park?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Hi,

Welcome back to San Diego.

I would recommend 3, 1, then 2, in that order.

The location in #3 is a block from Balboa Park, so the kids will have open space to run around and play (no formal playground there--just room to run). The entrance to the Zoo will be within walking distance. Also nearby, there's the Hillcrest Farmer's Market at Lincoln and Normal Avenues. There aren't many restaurants in the immediate area--you'll find the majority of restaurants farther west along University Avenue, starting around Richmond St. west to 1st Ave.

http://hillcrestfarmersmarket.com/about/

You don't say when you'll be here, but know that Hillcrest is the center of San Diego's LGBT community and the annual San Diego Pride is 18-20 July 2014. That event draws about 250,000 people to Hillcrest over the weekend.

Rental #1 in North Park is a bit eclectic (in a good way) and you'll find restaurants along University Avenue and 30th Street. There's no park in the immediate area for the kids.

I've really not been in the neighborhood where #2 is located, so I can't comment on what's there. Just looking at the map, though, it appears to be the most "remote" in terms of being within walking distance to restaurants or other things.

All three are within a few blocks' walk to a bus stop if that matters.

Hope that helps.

Zed

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,368 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Park is a busy street! IF you want to be near Balboa Park then pick rental no. 3

As for my reasons for throwing out no. 1 , a-I don't like the look of the house and the street.

b-the other choices are nicer

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

Yes, Park Blvd is a busy street, but using Google Street view to find the house's actual location, the house is located on Myrtle Street, about half a block from Park Blvd.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

There are streets that run parallel to Park Blvd that would be an option for biking.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

I think #3 fits well with what your looking for. Balboa Park is so close. There are a lot of restaurants within a short walk. Just walk up Park toward Robinsons and there are some right on Park. Turn the corner to the right on University and there are restaurants on both sides of the street. Many to choose from. As I said you can also walk to the Farmers Market.

You can walk the streets. This is the corner of Park & Myrtle. If you turn Right on Park Blvd you'll be walking toward Balboa Park. If you turn Left you will be on Park walking toward University.

http://goo.gl/maps/mK2HH

As you'll see there are sidewalks going toward the Park / Zoo and a short walk.

9. Re: Choice of 3 vacation rentals for a young family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 15, 2015