We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach hotel with no car?

Lynden, Washington...
3 posts
Save Topic
Beach hotel with no car?

I am traveling in Feb. with my husband and two small (1 & 4) children. We are flying free and don't really want a rental car. Where can we stay that there is beach access (or a great resort pool) and activities near by while still in reasonable proximity to an airport? We are not picky as to which airport we fly into.

Thanks for any help!

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Look at the Pacific Beach area...good hotel would be Catamaran or Pacific Terrace. You might want to look also at La Jolla or Coronado.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,272 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Hi,

Welcome to the forums. Not sure exactly what "activities" you seek??

February is part of our rainy season(if it rains at all) and the ocean water will be cold for swimming although you could certainly walk on the beach/get some sun/and the kiddos could play in the sand. IF you want to see sights in San Diego it would be best to have your own car with car seats for your children. Otherwise you'd be dealing with buses and taxis. IF you just want to stay at a resort and not go out of it to see anything else then I suppose you could be at a place like Paradise Point which is inside Mission Bay Park with its manmade bays for water activities and miles of trails for biking/walking etc It is not right at the ocean though.

You have not told us your budget for this lodging??

As mentioned above the area at the ocean with the most hotels would be Pacific Beach.

Tell us a little more about what you'd like to spend and what other activities/sights you'd like to see/do and we can make more suggestions.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,813 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Riff pretty much hit the questions I was going to ask.

Even if you want to get around using taxi cabs, you'll still need car seats for both your kids.

Level Contributor
38,796 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

The Hotel Del Coronado is a beautiful oceanfront resort that is very family-oriented. :).

Lynden, Washington...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Thank you for all of the help, we are from WA so hopefully the rain will not follow us there! We are not looking for a lot of activities. Just places to walk to and around. Our kids are a bit young for the big attractions, so we are more aiming for a space to play. Our budget is $200 and under per night and we will be flying with carseats so that is not a problem.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Hi Chiane !

<< Just places to walk to and around>>

There are hotels like the Paradise Point that are nice grounds and nice walks on the Bay. There are not, however, any restaurants or shops within walking distance. So, what is it that you would like to see / do when you are walking around?

Lynden, Washington...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Shopping, and park grounds would be what we are looking for. I looked at Paradise Point but I'm not impressed with the resort fee. Unless it's really worth paying?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,809 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

I dont know why you'd get hung up on the resort fee. Just add it to the rate and taxes to come up with the total price per night. If its in your budget and you want to stay there then do it.

As mentioned there isnt much around Paradise Point you are isolated.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

Have look at the Catamaran and Pacific Terrace in Pacific Beach. See what you think of them. You can walk to lots of restaurants and shops. In Feb they might be in your budget.

10. Re: Beach hotel with no car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 13, 2015