We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
825 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help

We will be staying at the Navy Lodge on Coronado for 5 days this March, with two other couples (both retired Marine Colonels). One couple has never been there and the other two of us, have but a considerable long time ago. We will have a mini van for our sightseeing and transportation, already rented from the airport when we arrive. As it's been awhile since I've been there, here are some of the suggestions for our days. But could use an organization or possibly restaurant suggests. . We would like to visit a couple wineries and do remember Temecula having some very nice ones, but possibly wouldn't need to drive that far north if there are others in the area. If I remember Camp Pendleton isn't very far from there, though.

Have lunch one day at the Hotel Coronado one day

Visit Seaport Village

Gaslight area for dinner

Little Italy, lunch or dinner

Old town Trolley tour

Visit USS Midway Museum

Torrey Pines State Reserve, Mount Soledad

LaJolla not sure why, but remember their beaches being beautiful

Camp Pendleton , (obviously)

Temecula Wineries

Point Loma and Lighthouse, Cabrillo National Monument

Would appreciate any suggestions and I do realize, as I'm just starting, need to get a good driving map so will do that after I fill our five days. Thanks in advance.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,302 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help

Hi,

You've completely left out Balboa Park with its small museums of all sorts, gardens, outdoor entertainment, artisan shops, interesting architecture, theater ,restaurant etc.

www.balboapark.org

Perhaps if you are here on a Saturday the Farmer's Market /street fair in little Italy would be of interest as well?

I always wonder why folks take the Trolley hop on hop off tour if they have their own car?

To me it doesn't make much sense since most of the places on your list are on the tour.

I think that driving an hour to Temecula would be worthwhile as a beautiful place for wine tasting but we also have lots of craft beer here in San Diego which you might also(or instead) want to taste.

There are places in downtown to do this at the Mission Brewery as one example.

Edited: 3:40 pm, January 05, 2014
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help

I would recommend visiting both of these, and both are free:

Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum, which is at the northwest corner of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, off Miramar Road. http://flyingleathernecks.org

Marine Corps Command Museum, which is at the east end of Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, off Pacific Highway. http://www.corpshistory.org

There are many sights to see in the La Jolla area of San Diego and most sights are free. Details are at this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32578-i334-k54207…

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help

Hi,

I agree with Riff M about the trolley tour. However, you may want to check out the Old Town State Historical Park and Old Town itself. There's plenty of free parking in the area (get there earlier rather than later).

Also, as an idea... Seeing as you're staying on Coronado, you may want to just drive to the Coronado Ferry Landing, park your car in the lot there (or on one of the non-metered side streets nearby), and take the ferry across to the city.

The ferry will drop you right at the USS Midway, and it would be a half-mile walk to Seaport Village from there, too.

http://goo.gl/maps/CpvlQ

Also near Seaport Village is the newly opened "The Headquarters"--the old San Diego Police Headquarters converted into shops and restaurants.

http://www.theheadquarters.com/

Parking in Coronado saves you a $10 parking fee at the Midway (but you'll incur $8.50 per person for the round trip ferry tickets).

When going to Temecula, check out Old Town Temecula along Front Street--lots of shops and restaurants.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
825 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help

Wow, what great help. I will certainly take a look at them all. Appreciate the help and suggestions, especially about the trolley. We took one in San Francisco and found it a good way to get an hour or so overview of the town, but will have to look at where it goes as you're right, we will have a vehicle. Will get to work on these ideas and get back to you if I have more questions. Thanks again to all.

5. Re: itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 07, 2015