We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May family travel

Rocky Mountain...
4 posts
Save Topic
May family travel

Hi my multigenerational family is planning on coming to california in may 5 adults 2 teens. We are spending 6 days in disney and 5 in sandiego. We are having trouble finding info on shuttle services between the two cities ( we are not staying in hotels). Do you have any recommendations for the most econimical way to get to San Diego. Also we haven't booked our accomodations yet for san Diego. We have looked at alot of hotels and vacation rentals in Mission Bay. What is the best area to be in? We will be on foot. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
502 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May family travel

Hi Cyndi - Welcome to San Diego!

I don't know what you mean when you say the "cheapest" way to get to SD. The train is fairly inexpensive but only you know if it's cheap enough for your family.

http://www.amtrak.com/home

I just looked at Greyhound and see that they don't run between Anaheim and SD.

There's the LuxBus

luxbusamerica.com/bus-to-san-diego-service.p…

Edited: 12:33 pm, December 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May family travel

As far as where to stay Mission Bay isn't the best place to stay if you don't plan on renting a car. It's time consuming to get around by bus. About an hour to get to the Zoo and Downtown. The problem with the hotels in Mission Bay is that with the exception of the Catamaran they aren't walking distance to anything like restaurants, cafes, stores. So everytime you leave the property you have to use a taxi or bus. Some of the hotels like the Hilton Resort aren't on a bus line.

If you want to be near the beach and still be able to walk to lots of restaurants and stores I'd look to Pacific Beach. Have a look at Capri by the Sea a condo complex. Perhaps the Catamaran or Pacific Terrace

Edited: 12:41 pm, December 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
502 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Hilton San Diego Resort...
3,437 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,038 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
2,162 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,647 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May family travel

San Diego is a city that is quite spread out so that there is no one area where one can walk to all the attractions. IF you plan to use public transit(buses and/or lightrail) then it would be best to stay downtown. You might also be able to stay in some of the Pacific Beach or Mission Bay Hotels but not all of them would be convenient. Public transit takes much longer to get to places than if you would rent a vehicle. It might take an hour by bus to get somewhere that would only be 15min. by car.

I agree that the train or lux bus is probably a good way to change cities.

Anaheim is more than an hour from parts of San Diego so a private shuttle will be expensive although I suppose that train tix for 7 people may also add up.

Renting your own vehicle may turn out to be a more efficient way to go?

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,038 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
502 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Rocky Mountain...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: May family travel

Thank you, I knew about the train but there is no baggage allowed on our dates. i did not know about Lux bus, so thank you all. That is a big help. We have looked at alot of vacation homes in the mission bay area, and some hotels in hotel circle. We are still debating between vacation rental or hotel. Thank you all

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,647 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May family travel

There IS baggage allowed on all trains!!

They just don't have baggage service which means you'll have to carry it on yourself and not just hand it over to a person to be stored.

Rocky Mountain...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May family travel

Thank you. I just looked again and there are trains available with checked baggage. Thanks

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May family travel

You ABSOLUTELY can take baggage on the train !!!!!!

As said it just means that they are not offering the service where they store your bags. The way that airlines do. You just carry them on the train with you. I've done it many times when I've visted my friends in Orange County (where Anaheim is.)

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May family travel

<<Thank you. I just looked again and there are trains available with checked baggage. Thanks>>

You don't "need" a train that offers Checked Baggage. You can take a train that does not and carry the bags on the train with you. Unless, of course, you do not want to keep your bags with you if there are too many of them.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May family travel

Re: where to stay. As said, if you don't want the option to walk to restaurants, stores, etc. then I'm sure you'll find a rental in Mission Bay. But, I would think that since you won't have a car you'd like to be within walking distance to a market to buy groceries, restaurants, etc.

There are hotels on Hotel Circle that are not well served by bus and some that are. A few that are walking distance to the lightrail Trolley service and most are not. For a stay w/o a car it's not the best choice.

The best areas to stay w/o a car are Little Italy, Downtown and Old Town. They are all served by bus and Trolley and you can walk to stores, restaurants. This website shows you where the Trolley goes. Also note, that if you take the train to SD Santa Fe Depot Station the Trolley stops there

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

Mentioned in this post
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
502 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Little Italy
Little Italy
1,522 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn